Longest songs

Joined 2010
Paid Member
In this era of instant gratification 128 character posts and 2 minute noises that passes by "music"... you listen and enjoy long songs?

I mean, songs that are significantly longer than 10 minutes ( often studio songs will offer much longer versions in the Live versions, which I think are superior ).

I'll give you some rock songs ( classical doesn't count because by definition it's always long format ).

Pink Floyd, Echoes.
The Allman Brothers, Mountain Jam
The Doors, Celebration of the Lizard - Live

Sure, the Grateful Dead have a lot of loong songs... but most of them were "recorded" as live shows... not studio albums.

IMHO, a good long song must tell a story... take you into a real mental "trip"... bringing you up, keeping you up there and then bring you down gently...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yep, Yes always threaded that fine line between hallucinogens and Philip Glass. ( IMHO ).

For pure fun... you gotta add CCR Heard It Through The Grapevine, which at only 11 minutes long still is very nice, really good song.

For a good, "acid" rock... the entire first side of Pink Floyd's Ummagumma..... mind you, I wouldn't know, but I've been told that some of these songs were true "head rushes"...

Sure, kids today, don't understand..

Ummagumma: Careful With That Axe Eugene, Set The Controls To The Heart Of The Sun.

Dark Side Of The Moon. Oddly without Money, which was considered a commercial sell out. I made some cassette tapes for non stop listening, 45 min at a time, and I took out Money. We could put the tapes on and give the house's Dual and Thorens a well deserved break.

You know, we used to build excellent stereos then, turn the lights down and kick back.......

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
( classical doesn't count because by definition it's always long format ).

Not necessarily. I think most of John Dowland's lute songs are well below 10 minutes, for example. Johann Sebastian Bach's cantatas are typically about 20 to 30 minutes, but they consist of different parts, so I'm not sure if they count as one song.

Deep Purple's Child in time is apparently 10 minutes and 18 seconds long, so it only just meets your criterion (or not, depending on what you mean by significantly).

My partner has a record with a modulated lead-out groove, so you can let it play until the record is worn out. The part that is repeated indefinitely has the lyrics: "for a very long time". Do tricks like that count?

Last edited:
CAN 'Yoo Doo Right' @ 20:27; 'Bel Air' @ 19:53; 'Mother Sky' @ 14:32; 'Chain Reaction' @ 11:09

Bill Laswell 'A Screaming Comes Across The Sky' @ 17:34; 'Jerusalem' @ 12:31

The Orb 'Blue Room' @ 17:34; 'Towers Of Dub' @ 15:01; 'Assassin' @ 14:38; 'O.O.B.E.' @ 12:52

Johnny Rivers 'John Lee Hooker' @ 15:55

The Seeds 'UP In Her Room' @ 14:42

The Temptations 'Masterpiece' @ 13:48; 'Zoom' @ 13:42; 'Smiling Faces Sometimes' @ 12:41; 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone' @ 12:02

Funkadelic 'Tales Of Kid Funkadelic (OpusdeliteYears)' @ 12:53

Booker T Jones 'Green Onions - Cebollas Verdes Extended Mix' @ 11:18

Baaba Mal 'Lam Lam' @ 12:18

Television 'Marquee Moon' @ 10:38

Jah Wobble's Solaris 'Mystery Of The Twilight Pt 1' @ 20:01; 'Mystery Of The Twilight Pt 2' @ 24:37; 'Around The Lake' @ 18:53

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Not necessarily. I think most of John Dowland's lute songs are well below 10 minutes, for example. Johann Sebastian Bach's cantatas are typically about 20 to 30 minutes, but they consist of different parts, so I'm not sure if they count as one song.

Deep Purple's Child in time is apparently 10 minutes and 18 seconds long, so it only just meets your criterion (or not, depending on what you mean by significantly).

My partner has a record with a modulated lead-out groove, so you can let it play until the record is worn out. The part that is repeated indefinitely has the lyrics: "for a very long time". Do tricks like that count?

Most classical is long, sure, there are short pieces.. songs... but, IMHO, they tend to be played in sequence with no interruptions or clapping from the audience.

For example, Debussy's Iberia which is three parts for a total of about 20 minutes. Or Granados' Danzas Españolas...

Yeah it does.

Pretty much, long songs either fall into a trip or into a groove.

Either way, you just sit back and enjoy it.

The "groove" songs also make excellent Road Trip songs... but that's another thread.

Oh, remember Monty Python's LP with two grooves on one side? You never knew what you were gonna play.

Last edited: