Mac Sonoma 14.2 problems - also Office 2021 instal

I am using an iMac (2020) 27" Retina 3.3GHz with a 1Tetra HD. and loaded and installed the Sonoma update a week or so before Christmas and intended to install MS Office 2021.

However I have had nothing but problems! :mad:

1) WEB. I was unable to post on any programme (Safari 17.2.1) until today - other than 'like' button use on some ADIY posts. My broadband service is British Telecom.
2) Many (approx 50%) emails have been lost and I have not been able to send any other than locally! These two have cleared today but I have lost very many mails.
3) I do NOT wish to use iCloud yet cannot seem to get rid of that most annoying message which appears on the top right of the screen. If I delete the message two further
screens appear and need to be closed - at which the first message reappears!!!

Any ideas on solving any of these problems?

Having always been a Mac user I find that the current software is no longer easy to use and appears to be more interested in linking to iPads, watches and phones than in providing
a sensible work station. I have 4 old desktop Macs in the garage and 2 cinema screens - I may be driven to using one!

Well - at last I can use this cursed iMac to post! Seems that the root problem was a flooded junction between cable and fibre junction to local exchange. The joys of countryside living :deer:
[Despite the fact that the iMac was not to blame (totally IP's problem) I find that Mac systems are becoming decreasingly less intuitive.:headbash: ]

Belated New Year wishes to all!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
However I have had nothing but problems

I got this from an associate who recently installed Sonoma on his M1 Air.

I installed the newest Sonoma OS on my Air yesterday (against the Dlugos Doctrine of waiting a bit until reports come in about its stability).) should have observed the Dlugos Doctrine. I’m experiencing some weird stuff requiring repeated restarts. Stupid me.

An update is imminent. That will hopefully help.

I usually wait until just. before the next OS upgrade to upgrade to the latest version of the OS. If you buy a new machine tyou get teh lastest OS (or if the timing is right, the one yopu get hasn’t yet gotten the latest at the factory which i managed with my new 15” Air).

good to see you escaped from upgrsade hell …

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I avoid office. Nisus, Numbers for the baby worksheets — i would love to have a macOS 68030 emulator running 7.6.1 so i could use the ancient spreadsheet i was an expert in — even today it outclasses Excel. i do have excel 2004 on the MacPro downstairs but it is such a poor piece of software. Keynote reads PowerPoint.

But if you are stuck in a corporate grind…

dave