• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Magnavox 8608-10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having a hard time finding a schematic for this amp. Can anyone help me out with an 8608 schematic. I found 2 Russian 6BQ5 tubes from Reflector factory that Sovtek bought out....are these good tubes? Also, should I replace to transformers or do those usually last. Thanks

OK, the amp is out & I'm ready to start replacing parts. I found a schematic http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/stickman81/IMG_0250.jpg , and a parts list http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/stickman81/IMG_0251.jpg . I don't show C1, C7&C10, C6 & C9.... Can someone help me out here. The 6BQ5 EL84 tubes will be replaced with JJ's, along with the rectifier tube. Resistors are being checked & replaced as needed. Also a 3 prong power cord will be installed. Here is the underside -
IMG_0245.jpg

Im currently rebuilding a 86xx and have decided to go with a updated circuit. Seems that many people either update the Magnavox circuit or change it to a RH84. There are many threads on AudioKarma pertaining to the 86xx console amp:

Magnavox 8601 recap help - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Maggie console with 8601-00 chassis - Page 2 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Magnavox Updated 86-01 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

And here is the schematic Im using, although I already have the original 40/40/20uf caps for the supply so I wouldnt change those values yet.

I have a question though, for those more familiar with vintage tube amps. Ive read that the "death cap" can/shouldnt be removed and that a three wire power cord can/cant be utilized. The chassis is used as the ground plane so whats the best way to wire it up. Ive also seen the cap wired between the AC wires (the 86xx)and switchable to chassis ground instead (guitar amps etc)

amt

Attachments

• maggie8601_km_ed1_m3.jpg
    maggie8601_km_ed1_m3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 400
716P series Orange Drops are comparatively inexpensive polypropylene film and aluminum foil parts. They are good replacements for electrically leaking OEM waxed paper parts. Soviet surplus K40 paper in oil (PIO) parts are another satisfactory option for the signal path, with a sensible price tag.

By and large, ceramic caps. are a no/no in the signal path. Ceramic caps. definitely have their uses, but not as interstage couplers.

Ok, Thanks Eli....Orange Drops will be used. As far as the re-wiring for the 12AX7 - the only question I see is Pin #3 on the 6V shows no connection, and Pin #9 on the 12V shows Heater Center-tap. Those are the only differences. Is that the same as the other two heater pins?

Ok, found this on AudioKarma - thanks to Roggom.
One more thing, the 6eu7 is 6.3 heaters and the 12ax7 is 12.6 you will be running the new tubes with the filaments in parallel.

Since pin 3 is blank we will start there.

Desolder pin 4 wire and solder it to pin 3

take pin 2 wire and solder in pin 4

take pin 5 wire and solder in pin 2

Make a jumper from pin 4 to pin 5

desolder pin 9 wire and hold it off to the side

take pin 1 wire and solder it to pin 9

desolder pin 6 wire and solder it to pin 1

desolder pin 7 wire and solder to pin 6

desolder pin 8 wire and solder to pin 7

take pin 9 wire ( that was off to the side) and solder to pin 8.

Now you can roll in 12ax7 12at7 5965 etc.

I'm a big fan of the 6EU7. Magnavox used them in just about all of their tube console amps and so you can find them easily enough. I'd encourage you to save yourself the effort and stay with the 6EU7.

I found enough room on the back to mount 5 way posts and a proper power cord. I used orange drops and was quite satisfied with them. Implementing a star grounding system will reduce hum noticeably. If you need a 6EU7, I can hook you up.

Did you decide to stay with the console or remove it?

9886522b.jpg
[/IMG]

8ae83493.jpg
[/IMG]

I think what I've decided to go with (for now) is to replace disk caps with Orange Drops, and all resistors out of tolerance. Now that I have found directions for the 12AX7, as long as my 6EU7 works - I'll stay with it. The other tubes will be replaced with EL84M's and a nice rectifier. Power cord ground isn't a sure thing - someone said to tie it into the mounting screw of the transformer. I'll leave it in the console until I can buy another console someone is getting rid of, then use it as a stand alone. My Klipsch Chorus II's are anxiously waiting.

Can anyone help me with running a power switch like Captn Dave's? Which wires in The multi-wire umbilical are power? Thanks

It doesn't really matter when you think about it. You are going to install a power cord that ties to the primary of the PT with only the fuse and the switch in series. The wires to that 12 place molex plug will get cut and removed when you do that. Crimp a stacon onto your green power cord wire and put that under the PT nut with a star washer and your all set.

Note that you lack the room for a fuse fixture - you can go with an axial leaded slow blow fuse covered with shrink wrap soldered to the power switch lug. Mine idles at 440 ma so a 3/4 or 1 amp fuse should be a good choice. You must have this to protect your PT from tube failures and other accidents. It's surprising but Magnavox didn't fuse their consoles; consequently, fried PTs are somewhat common.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.