mod for roland 405 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Newbie poster here. did a search, not successful. I have a Roland 405 guitar amp that I want to modify. I want to add 1/4" output jack for main speaker output, put a 1/4" plug on the speaker wire. similar to many tube combos.
I also want to disconnect the speaker shutoff of the headphone jack. I want to use the headphones while playing, and the speaker outputs to a load box for recording. Gee, it sounds like I want it all.:D
More newbie questions. Are ss amps as dangerous as tube amps to work on? What precautions should i take? Any good introductory references for beginners? Thanks for all replies. Dan

DanTheBluesMan said:

I also want to disconnect the speaker shutoff of the headphone jack. I want to use the headphones while playing, and the speaker outputs to a load box for recording. Gee, it sounds like I want it all.:D
More newbie questions. Are ss amps as dangerous as tube amps to work on? What precautions should i take? Any good introductory references for beginners? Thanks for all replies. Dan

when you 've got a look at the female jack inside the amp, you see (or you can measure) a kind of switch that makes or breaks the contact when put your headphone jack in. just cut the wires of the switch, maybe you've got to solder them together...

when you work at amps, always be sure that the mains aren't connected and beware of the dangerous voltage at the capacitors even when the amp isn't connected to the mains!!!
So never hit the supply rails without measuring the voltage at it.
also be careful with using old capacitors: they can explode and/or burn; so use some eye-protection then...

what references do you mean? do you want to make your first ss-amp?

best regards,
HB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.