• Member Blogs have been stealth lauched / soft launched. Members who are keen to start a useful informative blog and who will keep it current can contact GerardV to be set up. Blogs that go stale will be archived.

More power, Igor!

TDA8932 has been my workhorse amplifier for a number of years now and its great for a desktop setup. But what about when I need a bit more power, like for a living room or an even larger space for demonstration purposes? I have played around on paper (and some experiments) with getting more juice out of the chip by paralleling and using a trafo on the output. But nothing has really grabbed me as a way to boost the output power into the above 100W region.

For higher power amps, I've gone in the past for IRS2092-based designs and these can sound pretty good with the signal power supplies optimized - the same technique I've used to get the best from TDA8932. So that is one route that looks worth following. But I would like to understand classD amps a bit better and nothing beats trying to design one for getting on a steep learning curve. IRS2092's main drawback is it needs a split supply, it would be really excellent if I could come up with an amp that just needed a single 48V supply and dished out 100W comfortably. A monoAMP on steroids so to speak.

Not using IRS2092 means going to opamps and comparators and H-bridge drivers as the next level components down. The first puzzle for me is - IRS2092 uses an OTA internally and those are definitely not too common as separate components. The venerable old CA3080 (beloved of analog synthesizer makers) has been obsolete for years and LM13600 can't be too far behind. I downloaded the long list of IRAUDAMP datasheets and discovered that, while many used IRS2092, no.1 did not. So I figured this must be a good place to make a start - instead of an OTA it has an LT1220 which is a fairly mid-range fast opamp. Its LTP input stage is heavily degenerated which leads to bags of slew rate and less-than-stellar noise numbers. The LF noise corner also seems rather high (around 1kHz) so I went in search of an alternative with lower noise, or at least a lower LF noise corner.

AD817 turns out to have an LF noise corner around 10Hz so altogether much more promising. Its less DC-capable but I doubt that matters too much for an audio amp. Second-hand on Taobao AD817 is affordable enough so I ordered some. In the meantime I wanted to build something. I had a bag of AD744 to hand so that went in (in place of LT1220) to my first classD prototype built from the ground up (rather than from using a dedicated classD chip). For the output stage I decided to use CD4049 inverters in parallel as they can run up to 18V supply. The idea was to make an amp just powerful enough to drive my HD6XXs (300 ohm).

On first firing this amp up, the oscillation frequency was wildly too high, well over 1MHz. The variable R which controls the idle freq I had as an SoT fixed R and I had to reduce this to about 15ohm to get into the right ballpark, by which I mean under 500kHz. Apart from this the thing did work and amplified my DAC's output by 6dB. The idle current though was a bit higher than I was hoping for, around 40mA for both channels. In the flush of a successful build, at first I didn't really notice any shortcomings but on quick listening my wife said 'too noisy!'. How much of the noise comes down to the AD744 I wondered?

(to be continued)

Attachments

• iraudamp1A.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 106
  • lt1220fb.pdf
    266.3 KB · Views: 101
  • AD817.pdf
    220.6 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 1 users
Seeing as getting the noise down is a non-negotiable requirement, I took the step of swapping out the AD744 (noise around 18nV/rtHz) for something much lower noise, LT1028 (noise around 0.9nV/rtHz). On playing it to my wife she said that 'yes, the noise is lower but the music doesn't sound meaningful any more'. How to interpret that in terms of circuit behaviour?

On closer examination it turns out that there might be serious problems with this circuit, by which I mean the modulator part. When I probed I found the LT1028 to be slew-rate limiting - the modulator output is roughly a sawtooth and it measured on my scope around 11V/uS which is what the DS says is the max slew rate for LT1028. This could explain why the LT1220 is specified as that has a 250V/uS slew rate. But that high slew rate can only be achieved through degenerating the LTP at the input and an inevitable consequence of that degeneration is higher noise. So pick your poison - noise or meaningless music? Actually in theory there is a way around that trade-off - switch over to JFETs in the LTP. Low noise JFETs are a little bit tricky to source, Taobao is full of fakes so I think that option is best left in reserve, especially as it needs a part-discrete opamp for the modulator, the lowest noise JFET opamp is OPA6X7 which is a very expensive device. Another possibility is inductor degeneration as used in the discrete opamp JE-990.

The apparent choice between Charybdis and Scylla isn't the only issue. The modulator is tricky to get going at a low enough frequency, by which I mean <=500kHz in the idle condition. It really wants to race above 1MHz. IR's appnote for the IRS2092 explains that the idle freq is influenced by a few factors - the integrator cap values, the integrator R (R to GND between the two caps) and the propagation delay through the output stage. I had already figured the cap values would make a difference so they were at 2nF (from the original 1nF) and the integrator R was already very low (20R I think). So I figured I'd increase the propagation delay by adding a further string of six inverters (CD4049) to the output stage. Then that wasn't quite enough so I added caps to GND to some of the inverters (68pF) and at last I was able to hit 500kHz. Doing some math though, an 11V/uS slew rate through 2nF means 22mA charging current. This I don't feel is very kind to an opamp's OPS, its bound to make it less linear, not to mention the noise induced on the supply rails in supplying such. If I was able to find a low enough noise faster slew rate opamp, would that have to supply even more?

Attachments

• an-1138_IRS2092.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
Last edited: