Music Today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So much is being written these days about the artistic decline of the recording industry that I’ve decided to offer an observation from someone who has been around since the 45rpm was the latest and greatest.

This **** has been going on for decades; witness the millions those greedy bastards stole from Little Richard not to mention the way they treated our own Las Vegas resident, and maybe the greatest pop vocalist of all time, Eddie Gorme.

Today, in their quest to improve the bottom line, these dollar hungry pinheads eagerly contract with tone deaf felons who can’t read a line of music, carry a tune, or even play an instrument, as long as they can recite 2 or 3 paragraphs of female bashing dialog to the beat of a drum while striking silly poses for the camera. Then they have the balls to market this crap as music. Of course, an argument can be made that this is just another form of art. Then again, several years ago someone suspended a crucifix upside down in a jar of urine and called it art also.

Meanwhile, talented kids everywhere sacrifice years practicing their instruments, studying music composition, literally paying all the required dues and can’t get a fair shot at a career. And now we’re seriously considering the elimination of art and music instruction in our schools.

Throughout history, societies have depended on the arts, especially music, not only to reflect WHAT IS but, more importantly, to expose us to possibilities of WHAT CAN BE. The artist has always led the way.

Today, these corporate boneheads try to justify what they’re doing by claiming they’re only giving us what we want; and they spend millions in consumer research to determine just that. The net result of this approach, of course, is that what the public finally gets is necessarily reduced to the least common denominator. In other words, just so much crap.

In my opinion, the time has come for true artists everywhere to come together and grow balls big enough to take control of the industry on which their lively hoods depend.
Actually, I’m quite optimistic about the future of the music business. Just as the steam engine wiped out the stagecoach I believe the microprocessor engine will eventually drive the gigantic plastic injection molders into obsolescence. Of course we’ll see the owners of these dinosaurs crawling on their bellies in the halls of congress begging for protectionism legislation to help keep them in power. But if the artists just stand together it should come to no avail.

CHUCK

good thinkings

good thinkings, Chuck Richey
who are you? I don't remember reading stuff by you before ...

passive paying consumers
and musicians without power
acting puppets for the multibillion music industry

or

musicians in control of their own releases and material
and
interaction between listeners and creators

where are we going?
The Right Way or The Wrong Way

HALOJOY---
To answer your question, I'm just an audiophile who happened to work for Capitol Records for several years and saw first hand how the industry treats their artists and employees.
The article I posted in this thread is simply a copy of a letter which I wrote to the editor of a local newspaper here in Las Vegas. It was published last week and won the BEST DAM LETTER WE RECEIVED ALL WEEK award. Got me 2 VIP passes to the hottest club in town so I may try again sometime.
So who are you and what do you have to do with the subject at hand?
CHUCK

Chuck I see your point as having worked in the Industry for awhile...basically its a raw deal unless you get that break regardless of talent

halojoy are just trying to be a ignoramous in the forum on purpose>???......who cares is this Chuck`s first post or 500th he stated a valid discussion here

DIRT®

AMEN and HALLELUJAH BROTHER!!

Seriously...
I agree 100 percent.
I am in my late 20's, and I have watched the pop music scene go through all of it's fads and phases: rock to new wave to progressive to metal to industrial to grunge to modern rock to hip hop, etc. etc.
From the 50's through the 80's (and somewhat in the early 90's) there was a common denominator to the music: Talent!
Even in all it's forms, there was musical genious to be found, even hiding in such luke-warm nonsense as top40.
Today, it is all about appearance, and selling an image.
The prerequisite that you be a good songwriter has been redefined. Having an *** that looks good in low-riding jeans, piercings in all the right places, or being the newest teen tease or pretty boy has replaced artistic integrity.
Take, for example, the show "American Idol". They found some pretty decent vocalists (decent is as far as I will go). Why weren't they required to write a song of their own? Oh yeah- we have studio musicians and producers to do that! They know what America (and the rest of the world) wants, right?
It is getting more and more difficult to discover that stand-out among the same old mediocrity.
In their vain attempts to give us what they think we want, they are completely purging the industry of diversity, talent, and artistic expression. I don't know what's worse- that they are selling us this garbage, or that people are buying it! It makes me depressed that there is a whole generation willing to swallow this pre-packaged over-marketed stale recycled nonsense! For a generation that prides itself on it's individuality, it's amazing how much everyone is starting to look alike.

Steve is right as far as he goes.
But the problem is far more serious than P-Diddy's fashions or Britney's cute ***. Now that the whole MEDIA industry,( radio, tv, movies, music, newspapers) is in the control of a handfull of greedy corporate bean counters with more influence than all sections of government, the education system, and parents combined, we're in real deap sh-t.
I have a question: If we the people own the electromagnetic spectrum and pay, thru taxes, people at the FCC to administer and license networks to use assigned portions of that spectrum with-in the rules imposed by the FCC, why does the entertainment industry get a free ride?????
ACCESS HOLLYWOOD, ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT, EXTRA, to name just a few are nothing more than half hour INFOMERCIALS for the entertainment industry. With over 50 percent of guests on Jay Lenos, David Lettermans, and almost every other talk shows lineup being actors hawking their latest movie, it's no wonder Johnny got out when he did.
Jay and David have been reduced by the powers that be to nothing more than PIMPS for the industry.
Once upon a time there was only the ACADEMY AWARDS. Now there is the GRAMMY, EMMY, TONY, and some 63 other award shows every year, all free advertisment for that one hallowed industry.
This generation has finally found the perfect IDOL to worship and this year it has taken the shape of J-LO's rear end. I wonder what it will morph into next year.
CHUCK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.