NE2H Neon indicator resistors

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum.

I'm repairing our oven which has neon lamps for indicating oven on and thermostat on/off.

The power indicator which comes on with the oven popped (literally) so as I have new neons in my stuff I thought I'd just replace the broken one. However, when I pulled the lamp and extracted it from its housing, it had what appears to be a 1/8w resistor in parallel with the neon pigtails. There was no resistor in series UNLESS it completely vapourised (the unit is very blackened and this actually could have happened as it tripped the RCD).

The resistor measures 47-ish K but is pretty burned so may be out of spec.

Power for this lamp comes straight from an open mechanical switch for the oven so there is nothing hidden.

Can anyone shed light on why there's a resistor across the neon? I did search and could only find reference to this being a thing for inductive loads to stop the neon glowing when switched off.

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Stuey

(BTW the original part is very difficult to source, hence the DIY).

No, the resistor is crimped onto the neon bulb legs with little tubular brass crimping sleeves.

The thing is, as my parts box neons are only NE2's (low brightness) I tried it with 240kR in series and 47k (1/2 watt) parallel, the parallel R just popped (which is what I expected). I just assumed then that the original resistor must be measuring out of spec. hence this thread to query its function.

BTW I haven't tried just leaving it and seeing what happens functionally because I ran out of time and needed the stove! So I left it with no lamp,,,Ha ha ha.