Need great sound for small room & keyboards

I need a recommendation for some very high-quality speakers for playing massive keyboard sounds to a room that would accommodate 40-75 people. I hear line-array speakers might be the best. Would something like a Bose system be the way to go? Or are they overpriced and I should look at other options like JBL, Yamaha, etc. Thanks for any help

I need a recommendation for some very high-quality speakers for playing massive keyboard sounds to a room that would accommodate 40-75 people.
What is "massive keyboard sounds"? Is that full spectrum at high SPL? Exactly how loud and low do you want to go?

I hear line-array speakers might be the best. Would something like a Bose system be the way to go? Or are they overpriced and I should look at other options like JBL, Yamaha, etc.
Yes Bose stuff is overpriced, not particularly loud, and surely you have heard the phrase.. no highs no lows... must be Bose." Systems like the L1 are more column speaker than line array too, they do have wider coverage at midrange frequencies but because there are no dedicated HF drivers the respose is a mess up there and the line of drivers is too short to produce any line array behavour at lower frequencies. The Bose bass modules are fairly anemic compared to a dedicated PA subwoofer as well, so overall your money would be better spent elsewhere.

In the US Peavey KB300 has a lot of fans for small venues. It is self powered. It has a 3 input mixer for keyboard players that also sing or employ a vocalist. For 54-17500 hz and 100 listeners I like the Peavey SP2 which requires a separate amp. These are mounted high on poles, projecting highs down over the audience head. Post 1990 only as SP2-XT, the 80's versions on the used market are not that good. Avoid the old round edge horn versions. SP2(2004) has an actual harmonic distortion specification, 25 db down 54-12000 hz. I scored 2 of these for only $400 but I had to spend $100 to drive 240 miles to get them. JBL models like 4227 have some fans, but are extremely rare on the used market. I have only seen these in lots of 6 from bankrupt theater salvage. Beware JBL consumer line, the frequencies quoted are +- 10db, which is useless for those that have heard an actual wood piano and are not deaf yet. C7 is only 4187 hz although real piano overtones can go to 3X that. Playing out I use a 260 watt/channel amp on the SP2 pair although you can get away with 60 w for polite audiences at bluegrass festivals etc. For audiences of a dozen I play off the bicycle, I use a box I built around a visaton BG17 full range driver with a $40 75 watt mono amp a MMA-875t.
If you play the bottom octave, A0 27.5 to A1 55 hz, you will need a subwoofer. Most of those sold in music stores only go down to 40 hz. Example Peavey 118. Note frequencies quoted without a +- 3db qualifier are +-10, or Radio Shack, +-20 db. The subwoofers I know that go to 27.5 hz come from Allen organ. A crossover appliance merges two sterso signals and mixes the lows into a single feed for a powered subwoofer or separate amp for the lows. These come from Rane, Nady, or Peavey. I bought a nady used for $50.

Last edited:
What is "massive keyboard sounds"? Is that full spectrum at high SPL? Exactly how loud and low do you want to go?

Yes Bose stuff is overpriced, not particularly loud, and surely you have heard the phrase.. no highs no lows... must be Bose." Systems like the L1 are more column speaker than line array too, they do have wider coverage at midrange frequencies but because there are no dedicated HF drivers the respose is a mess up there and the line of drivers is too short to produce any line array behavour at lower frequencies. The Bose bass modules are fairly anemic compared to a dedicated PA subwoofer as well, so overall your money would be better spent elsewhere.
Great questions and comments, thank you! I'm a composer/producer/keyboards person so I'm not fluent at your level of audio terminology, but I do understand what you're asking, however I can't give you the response in dB. I agree with your comment on Bose being more "column speaker" than "line array" though I was thinking, for expansion solutions when the audience grows, I could add more of the Bose L1-16 columns (in stereo pairs) plus one subwoofer per stereo pair. Also understand about "no dedicated HF drivers," so I see how that could be a problem. The frequency spectrum is wide for what I'm trying accomplish... I need the bass sounds to be ominous, the orchestral sounds to be fairly authentic, and high frequencies to be crisp so that they add the higher harmonic overtones to every frequency below them because that's what makes music interesting and alluring. Ideally I'm looking for the quality you'd find in a professional home-theater setting, but I can accept something less for now. Also I'm moving my own equipment, so it's better for me to have individual components rather than bulky, heavy items. Thank you for any input!! Is any of this doable? And where would I find this? I'm in Los Angeles, so live demonstration would be best before buying.

If you watch the KET video Jubilee "Ron Piazza and the Mighty Flyers" you will see Honey Piazza play keyboard through a KB300 to an audience of about 50. HD quality sound. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Piazza
https://www.bing.com/rebates/welcom...828156d5ec518f5b58b1e42b3e4ea5bf30&network=CJ
I can't audit the vimeo video, my computer has too small memory to play videos.
New SP2 at stores are tuned for maximum watts (1000 AES) and do not have the low distortion of the 2004 design (500 watts). Dealers have the equipment out in the middle of a warehouse and lose all the bass you get from placement against a wall. I took an amp and CD player to the home where I bought the used SP2 and demonstrated them there. When buying used one needs to prove both the drivers are working and not replaced by some random garbage. Drivers for SP2 are still in production. SP2 sound good at 1/8 watt in a living room, or at 500 watts on the patio of a bar.

I agree with your comment on Bose being more "column speaker" than "line array" though I was thinking, for expansion solutions when the audience grows, I could add more of the Bose L1-16 columns (in stereo pairs) plus one subwoofer per stereo pair.
Column speakers should not be deployed that way, if more output is required the "sticks" should always be stacked on top of one another making a taller line, but I suspect you will find most of the compact systems are not designed to be combined that way.

Also understand about "no dedicated HF drivers," so I see how that could be a problem. The frequency spectrum is wide for what I'm trying accomplish... I need the bass sounds to be ominous, the orchestral sounds to be fairly authentic, and high frequencies to be crisp so that they add the higher harmonic overtones to every frequency below them because that's what makes music interesting and alluring. Ideally I'm looking for the quality you'd find in a professional home-theater setting, but I can accept something less for now. Also I'm moving my own equipment, so it's better for me to have individual components rather than bulky, heavy items. .
I suspect you will get better results with conventiona PA speakers. I don't know how loud you expect this to be... and maybe that will evolve based on the results you find are achievable with the gear that is available and affordable, so best if you get into a pro sound dealer for some demo time. I'd suggest looking at a system comprised of two smaller powered speakers and a single subwoofer to start, a matched system like this will effectively be 3-way which does help enhance definition. A package consisting of 2 EV ZXa1 tops with a ZXa1s sub for example would be very compct and easy to move by PA standards and deliver most of the audio spectrum in detail at pretty good sound levels, the portion of the spectrum missing is the first octave from 20-40hz of course. These ZXa speakers are known for thier studio monitor like sound with a taste of PA sound level capability, which means they will get louder than a typical HT or studio monitor system. If you want a bit more SPL capability for future considerations then there are 3 series above these(ELX-200, EKX, ETX) that are proper PA cabs, those bring a lot more SPL capability, much greater sub bass impact and a bit more lowend extension although still not quite home audio extention, but you may find it's enough to be plenty convincing. The biggest models are very large and heavy... stretching the limits of portability, but the performance available is impressive. I am suggesting EV products because of my experience wth them and because they have a large range of products that can all be mixed and matched with built-in DSP presets making them very easy to use, and they have proven to be very reliable and thus retain resale value.
EV also has those column speaker systems (Evolve series) that you can compare, these also sound very good but have the same limitations wrt expansion as similar units from other manufacturers.

I can only find new EV speakers on ebay. Full price. Musician's friend etc.
OTOH ebay has a pair of used Peavey SP4g in Rocklin CA for $895. These have dual 15" woofers plus a RX22 horn.
If you have an econovan, there is a quad of SP2-xt in scranton PA for $600.
SP2-XT go down to 50 hz -3db. 300 w rated AES. Require external amp. 101 db 1w1m, ie LOUD. Have internal passive crossover, no DSP required.
There are a pair of SP2G in LA for $350 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1159504745...BYwZA9u8Dqu6D9xnO1SbwdJDo=|tkp:Bk9SR9ztkYW2Yw
Test any used speakers with a CD player & amp. I did, and am happy with the SP2(2004) pair I got for $400. I'm using a cs800s amp I repaired from ebay for "parts or repair" for $140. Needed a small capacitor & vari-resistor in the power supply 5 v circuit. QSC cx300 amp has equivalent power and light weight, came working for $160, but the fan is noisy.

Last edited:
In the US Peavey KB300 has a lot of fans for small venues. It is self powered. It has a 3 input mixer for keyboard players that also sing or employ a vocalist. For 54-17500 hz and 100 listeners I like the Peavey SP2 which requires a separate amp. These are mounted high on poles, projecting highs down over the audience head. Post 1990 only as SP2-XT, the 80's versions on the used market are not that good. Avoid the old round edge horn versions. SP2(2004) has an actual harmonic distortion specification, 25 db down 54-12000 hz. I scored 2 of these for only $400 but I had to spend $100 to drive 240 miles to get them. JBL models like 4227 have some fans, but are extremely rare on the used market. I have only seen these in lots of 6 from bankrupt theater salvage. Beware JBL consumer line, the frequencies quoted are +- 10db, which is useless for those that have heard an actual wood piano and are not deaf yet. C7 is only 4187 hz although real piano overtones can go to 3X that. Playing out I use a 260 watt/channel amp on the SP2 pair although you can get away with 60 w for polite audiences at bluegrass festivals etc. For audiences of a dozen I play off the bicycle, I use a box I built around a visaton BG17 full range driver with a $40 75 watt mono amp a MMA-875t.
If you play the bottom octave, A0 27.5 to A1 55 hz, you will need a subwoofer. Most of those sold in music stores only go down to 40 hz. Example Peavey 118. Note frequencies quoted without a +- 3db qualifier are +-10, or Radio Shack, +-20 db. The subwoofers I know that go to 27.5 hz come from Allen organ. A crossover appliance merges two sterso signals and mixes the lows into a single feed for a powered subwoofer or separate amp for the lows. These come from Rane, Nady, or Peavey. I bought a nady used for $50.
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate the suggestions and I'll definitely pick through the advice and go research some of the brand names & model #s in your comment.

Column speakers should not be deployed that way, if more output is required the "sticks" should always be stacked on top of one another making a taller line, but I suspect you will find most of the compact systems are not designed to be combined that way.

I suspect you will get better results with conventiona PA speakers. I don't know how loud you expect this to be... and maybe that will evolve based on the results you find are achievable with the gear that is available and affordable, so best if you get into a pro sound dealer for some demo time. I'd suggest looking at a system comprised of two smaller powered speakers and a single subwoofer to start, a matched system like this will effectively be 3-way which does help enhance definition. A package consisting of 2 EV ZXa1 tops with a ZXa1s sub for example would be very compct and easy to move by PA standards and deliver most of the audio spectrum in detail at pretty good sound levels, the portion of the spectrum missing is the first octave from 20-40hz of course. These ZXa speakers are known for thier studio monitor like sound with a taste of PA sound level capability, which means they will get louder than a typical HT or studio monitor system. If you want a bit more SPL capability for future considerations then there are 3 series above these(ELX-200, EKX, ETX) that are proper PA cabs, those bring a lot more SPL capability, much greater sub bass impact and a bit more lowend extension although still not quite home audio extention, but you may find it's enough to be plenty convincing. The biggest models are very large and heavy... stretching the limits of portability, but the performance available is impressive. I am suggesting EV products because of my experience wth them and because they have a large range of products that can all be mixed and matched with built-in DSP presets making them very easy to use, and they have proven to be very reliable and thus retain resale value.
EV also has those column speaker systems (Evolve series) that you can compare, these also sound very good but have the same limitations wrt expansion as similar units from other manufacturers.
Thanks for the additional help and for your time. I've got some homework to do checking into these suggestions, and also will look for a pro sound dealer besides Guitar Center :)