New: Faital Pro 12RS430

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
cheaper is fine :)
if you can affoard the L75-8 , playing a little in Vituix by adding low pass filter at 200 hz, lossy enclosure, filled, increasing a little Qes and Qtc in the editor to sim the passive low pass coil dcr and qtc :61, i went to f6 =33 hz (f3=52) BUT in 58L sealed !

But the f6 that is good, better to go vented with a Faital 12pr320 with almost same number (around 80 l Sbb4, bigger group delay for sure) but 5 db higher sensivity and twice lower inductance voice coil

WAF is the peace judge. But I know I need a 15" !

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
and I know nothing of the 12pr320 distorsion figure (have them on a shelf) . but for less than 80 l the two 10Rs430 in vibration cancelation mode are attractives because of the better low end. (Faital is indeed cheaper here in EC)

Btw if I can permitt about PA vs Hifi as I wonder how low is needed at home, I opened a thread there if anyone has an idea and experience related to his own living room and main hifi : how much f3, f6 and f10 are enough for you : how much f3 f6 & f10 do you need in your living room ?

What's the benefit to use it sealed with EQ?
That's probably THE benefit of closed enclosures! Did you ever do room measurements and/or a subwoofer integration?
You quickly get +-10dB just for resonances and Problems the room introduces. And SOME of these you can fight with EQ - and that really helps.

The good thing about closed speakers - they produce plenty of SPL under their resonance frequency! So when boosting 6-10dB you get to really low frequencies (just use one woofer more - which is then about the same volume as one woofer in reflex). Then add the behaviour of the room and you can easily go to 25-30Hz linear with such a system.

That's the FR of my subs in my living room home cinema near the subwoofers. (6x SB29NRX75-6 closed. The room adds a lot at low frequencies!)
Followed by the FR at listening positions (which is way better) without and with ONE filter for the 32Hz resonance.
A reflex woofer down to 20-25Hz would be totally nonsense in this room and position.
SubArray close.png

SubArray main seat.png

SubArray main seat EQ.png

Attachments

• SubArray main seat.png
    SubArray main seat.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That's probably THE benefit of closed enclosures! Did you ever do room measurements and/or a subwoofer integration?
You quickly get +-10dB just for resonances and Problems the room introduces. And SOME of these you can fight with EQ - and that really helps.
Yes I did. Mostly integration of sealed subwoofers with monitor loudspeakers.
Equalization of LF resonances when using a single sub is limited; it is an option to correct at a listening position but it will shift resonances to other positions in the room.
A much more effective option to deal with LF resonances is using multiple subs; how many subs are you using with your six SB29NRX75-6 woofers?
4 sealed distributed subs, one woofer per sub, might do the trick, even without equalization but only level and phase control for each sub.

It's 6 enclosures for the 6 chassis. Setup as array behind the front screen - but the room is not symmetrical, so no real singel array behaviour.
Still there is an interesting array like behaviour at the listening position - I will do more investigation when the room is finished (there is still a door missing ... and the complete acoustic ceiling).

You have to define how high you can let your subwoofers play.
The best approach for satelites ist still the THX way to do filtering - f3 of the closed front speakers (THX says 80Hz but it doesn't need to be that) + a 2nd order highpass.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't overestimate the sound of bass chassis in a closed enclosure and kept in linear function. Room and implementation is a HUGE part.
I once did a listening comparison of the LAB12 and a Bema driver with 1/2 the membrane weight. Both in closed volumes, FR EQed for the same nearfield response. We expected a pretty big difference.
Which simply wasn't to hear! They where not identical but very close.
But after the test we swapped positions of the woofers ... and the sound stayed with the position. So 30cm different position in the room made more difference as double the membrane weight! (again - linear motion, not upper limit like PA use)

It's hard to do a MEANINGFUL listening comparison of subwoofer chassis in closed volumes and corrected frequency response.
Of course you can quickly hear differences with different reflex tunings and positions in the room.

After all I always got great results with good chassis and careful setup with closed volume subwoofers. Get enough of them to achieve the needed level and it doesn't hurt when THD is low ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Humm I am more and mmore convinced than a 12" midwoofer between Fs 40 hz and 50 hz isn't low enough !

When I sim I am more and more convinced better a Fs below 30 hz to put the group delay peak the lowest possiblle when going vented !

So whatelse than the SB34RNLX for the Q/P please ? I wonder if the said 30 hz Fs of the new 12RS430 is low enough and also a reliable number ? In the Open Monkey Coffin thread, the Fs of a said 42 hz datasheet seemed to be more between 43 and 47 hz if I understoood well two measurements made in Swiss and Belgium with the 12PR320 which was one of the benchmark for the good sound !

Any thougth, please ? I am very sensible to the input who told two 10RS from Faital could share a 77l load. I lean not everyone can go to 150 liters and mmore cabinet.

The SB34RNXL seems to be around 90 dB sensivity when loaded in Vituix sims. Most of the hifi non PA drivers from 10 to 12" have lower sensivity.

Humm I am more and mmore convinced than a 12" midwoofer between Fs 40 hz and 50 hz isn't low enough !
That's the reason you put EQ on it :geek:
Your group delay will follow the complete transfer function - EQ + speaker. But you need a closed enclosure for that so you have all freedom for equalisation.

The SB34RNXL seems to be around 90 dB sensivity when loaded in Vituix sims. Most of the hifi non PA drivers from 10 to 12" have lower sensivity.
This is about true, it has pretty good sensitivity. But that doesn't help at low frequencies - you need some correction anyways (baffle step and f3 frequency).

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I never had the chance to compare a sealed vs an Eq vented. I just surmised the higher group delay of the low end for the vented with the higher out of phase port output was a part of the honky sound as well as the lower flater magnitude of the vented vs a sealed !

Btw because of that I just sim SC4or SBB4 without really knowing if really beter enough vs a QB3 alignement.

You are terrible guys, because of you I should save monney to go active ! SO just go with big Dayton and max Xmax ?

Is IIR as good as FIR here ?

Sorry if too much of topic.