New Headphone Day

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I’ve never had a set of ”hifi“ headphones. The nicest set I ever had was the $20 in ears I got for my phone because I also needed them to have a mic. I’m not an audiophile, I have never auditioned any headphones, I wouldn’t call myself a critical listener.

After completing @alexcp omicron headphone amp, I decided to get some nice headphones, Grado SR225x. They sound great, pretty comfortable (without glasses) and seem reasonably priced. My music is a lot of classic rock, acoustic guitar and some 80s alternative.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats, Mulburg! Moving up to better headphones is always a good thing. Beware of the slippery slope! I see that the Omicron can supposedly handle 32 to 600 ohm headphones so you might also try yet another pair of headphones at some point. You know, just to see how they sound with that nice, shiny new amp... As for myself, I have many headphone amps and more than a few pair of headphones. That way I can mix and match for whatever suits me for the day or evening. Every once in a while I come across a combination that is just silly sublime and will keep that in rotation for a long while.

Enjoy!

I enjoy my CK2III from AMB Laboratories. It's not a difficult build (single board with PS) and it easily handles high and low impedance headphones without sounding flat or bleh. I also think that in the bang-for-the-buck category a Starving Student does fairly well. The other two amp listed already are also very nice. You have great options. Welcome to diyAudio...and sorry about your wallet!