NPR Tiny Desk Concerts

Yeah! Love it! i've been listening for the past 3 years. Not only are the artistes talented, musically diverse, the recording is top notch.

I frequently use this channel to demonstrate examples of hi-fidelity being from good recordings, format alone can't help. Even brought a friend to tears listening to Adele's Tiny desk performance (his Adele vinyls don't elicit such responses).

I have only ever seen one, Jackie Evancho singing "Ombra Mai Fu", which I was going to link to.
However, discovered this where she does three songs"
JME at NPR

Jackie impressed the hell out of me when I first heard of her when she was ten years old and these songs, still at ten years old, shows why.

There are clops of her just going straight into difficult songs completely a capella and in cafeterias to boot.It is wonderful to see her perform so seriously and then turn back into a little girl at the end of it.

She progressed to this by the time she was 14 Think Of Me.

Sceptics may think she uses autotune or is lip synching but nothing could be further from the truth - she eschews any form of artificial enhancement or cheating.

Hi, I also discovered this channel quite late, but very happy I did :). The closeness is just amazing, and also I like the "in the room" sound format. In my music room I also have a big screen, and experiencing artist like Alicia Keyes this way is just exceptional. Also it's been a great way to find new music, so many brilliant young artist deliver brilliant performances, - love it.

Here's Alicia :love:

Anderson Paak and the New Nationals

Lous and the Yakuza

I only wish the concerts were longer....

Dagfinn

A handy list of all Tiny Concerts, arranged by year with YouTube and audio links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tiny_Desk_Concerts#Concerts_by_year

As you can see, Tiny Desk been around since 2008, airing one performance/week. I've watched a few times always looking for new artists. Lots of choices here. I've been drawn primarily by New Bluegrass artists (Nickel Creek and Sarah Jarosz...among others), a genre that comes off pretty well in this format. I now own some pretty good multichannel SACDs and CDs of these artists' albums.

Chris

Reactions: 1 user