Oldest amp you still use?

I still use a chip-amp I built in 1988 with the Sanyo STK4048XII to drive subs in my main system.
It's 150 Wrms stereo, dual Talema 200 VA torroids and 4 Nichicon 10K uF filter caps.
I built the case in 1975 for another amp and later re-used it for the STK.
I do have a replacement in the works but the STK just keeps going.

STK 150 Amp.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
First gen McIntosh MC-275. Heck, it's probably a bit older than I am, but still soldiering on. Gift from The Old Man™ to Mom & Dad when I was a kid. Mom gave it to me after Dad died. Put it and an MX-112 into service when the power supply in my MAC-4100 ate itself a few years back. One of the original KT-88s blew up rather spectacularly a while ago and scared the living daylights out of me, but thankfully the amp remained unharmed.

mc275.111017.640.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
My oldest amp is a Fisher X-101-B from the early 60s. I'm not sure of the exact year, because I'm not the original owner, but the serial number suggests 1963, I believe. My second oldest is a Marantz 1060. I bought it used in 1974, but I don't think it was too old when I got it. Both are in my system today.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 1060.JPG
    1060.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 25
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The 1060 is not that great, I almost bought one, used, in 1980, but the Sansui G7500 bested it.

The Fisher... now that's interesting. Is it a three channel preamp (amp)? Can you take a shot of the back? How does it work?

You realize now I just had to update my search engine in hifishark?

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm not saying it's not a solid performer, at this point we're splitting some hairs, but IMHO, I thought the sound of the Sansui was "faster" and more nimble.

Perhaps comparing 90 wpc vs 30 was not fair...

I got a Marantz receiver of the same era as the 1060 ( it's a 2325 ) and it has the Marantz sound, which is sorta dark in comparison with the nimbler Sansui and its high speed transistors ( my vintage units have all been restored to OEM... no LEDs, no "upgraded" electronics ).

( I've also owned a 2220B and 2240.. and currently have a 4415 ).

Oh, I took a look as the specs of that Fisher. Yep, you don't want that old tube stuff.... PM me and I'll give you my address. :D :D :D

Last edited:
I am going to beat everyone: 1934.
Kit amplifier with parallel push-pull 47 output and 56 driver. All original tubes, but I had to replace interstage transformer - with historically correct one. I use this amp for playing 78 rpm records. The sound is refined and mellow.
View attachment 1097363
Some of my favourite tubes! You really need a pair of these!!!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am going to beat everyone: 1934.
Kit amplifier with parallel push-pull 47 output and 56 driver. All original tubes, but I had to replace interstage transformer - with historically correct one. I use this amp for playing 78 rpm records. The sound is refined and mellow.
View attachment 1097363
Is this a kit from 1934, or is it a kit using tubes from 1934? If the former, that is a serious piece of audio history!