Oldest amp you still use?

1963 LEAK STEREO 30. The same Barret had in his house.

I just had to add the photographic evidence! :cool:

1665269993215.png

Reactions: 1 user
A 1989 Rotel RA-820AX, a $75 mint unit bought 12 years ago to have tunes during a cross country relocation. Bedroom duty now. Radio courtesy of a 1993 (?) Denon TU-680NAB, to my knowledge the only consumer tuner with a full 10 kHz bandwidth stereo AM section with correct de-emphasis. Freebie from a decommissioned AM station.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
If that is regarding the Kenwood I simply do not have the skills to work on something this complex, and really can't afford to pay somebody to do it at the moment, as much as I would like to do so
His "recapping" statement is at best a guess, and sounding like the hoardes of unprofessional internet followers that instantly blame things on capacitors.
In reality, which is where I live, I can only speculate that there are various reasons for those issues.
Hey, it could be a cap, it could be a failing resistor, it could be an intermittent junction of a transistor or connection on the board.
OR.... it could even be an issue in the preamp driving those amps.
For me to honestly know, it would have to be on my bench, but I would never just spout out something about caps.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
His "recapping" statement is at best a guess, and sounding like the hoardes of unprofessional internet followers that instantly blame things on capacitors.
In reality, which is where I live, I can only speculate that there are various reasons for those issues.
Hey, it could be a cap, it could be a failing resistor, it could be an intermittent junction of a transistor or connection on the board.
OR.... it could even be an issue in the preamp driving those amps.
For me to honestly know, it would have to be on my bench, but I would never just spout out something about caps.
It won't be the pre-amp in this case [ re-worked CA Azure] or even possibly the Behringer switch, probably; like me; just a case of old age and starting to fail.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
The RCF AM8150 on the picture is doing its duty since the installaton of the PA system of the building in 1969, I believe. It is never turned off. The noisy inputs on the front panel aren't used anymore; only the power section is currently in use. I keep it in service because it still works at original specs and can be repaired. This has come handy a few years ago when someone mistook the 100V speaker bus for a forgotten mains cable, and promptly connected it to the 230V power. The sound effect was quite effective at grabbing everyone's attention, I was told. I replaced the four easily accessible 2N3055 transistors and the job was done, instead of sourcing a new amplifier, motivate the purchase, test if it works on the system etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 82
Time for recaping.
It may in fact be time for a recapping, but for “hum and crackle” together my money is on an intermittent ground.

I replace all the little electros if I identify one that has a problem. If one is going bad, the others may not be far behind. Only replace the big ones (main filters, speaker coupling) if you can’t get full power out of the amp. I might be inclined to put in bigger speaker coupling caps in any amplifier that has undersized ones (I like my bass), but it’s not strictly necessary.

If an amp is cracking and it has the dreaded 2SC458’s anywhere in it they are the first thing to go. If that doesn’t fix a crackle, it will fix one in the future. Ditto for the 2SA720, which is often used in input diff pairs. A shame, since it is a really nice transistor when new. But a KSA992 or KSC1845 is guaranteed not to do the thunder-n-lightning crap any time in the next 50 years.

Nice retro pic of Syd,. What a long stange trip it's been. Cool same amp, was probably high end for the day
The recreation of Hendrix's third floor Mayfair flat allows fans an opportunity to listen to the same sound system as Jimi used, but with a new retro styled Leak Stereo 130 in place of the original 1963 Leak Stereo 30.

View attachment 1098042

https://theluxereview.com/2020/11/27/jimi-hendrix-hi-fi-experience-london/
That is what we call a "presa per il culo" here in Italy. It's just one of those new amps with a look that remotely recalls the one of a two colors amp and the sterile sound of the new ones. But people don't realize that and someone actually buys those awful things for fashion sake.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
That is what we call a "presa per il culo" here in Italy. It's just one of those new amps with a look that remotely recalls the one of a two colors amp and the sterile sound of the new ones. But people don't realize that and someone actually buys those awful things for fashion sake.
Fashion?..... styling?
I have to admit that I like vintage styling over modern boring looks.

The highly detailed control panel of my console stereo...

rca-panel2.JPG

It's just one of those new amps with a look that remotely recalls the one of a two colors amp and the sterile sound of the new ones.

I'm not so sure about that. :unsure:

The Leak Stereo 130 reads like a good purchase at its price of around £800 - click on the "read the full review" button here:

https://www.leak-hifi.co.uk/2020/09/29/an-amazing-5-globes/

The original Leak Stereo 30 cost around £49 in 1963 - equivalent to around £1035 today!

I'm not so sure about that. :unsure:

The Leak Stereo 130 reads like a good purchase at its price of around £800 - click on the "read the full review" button here:

https://www.leak-hifi.co.uk/2020/09/29/an-amazing-5-globes/

The original Leak Stereo 30 cost around £49 in 1963 - equivalent to around £1035 today!

But why buy a modern amp at that price when you can have the original old one, make it complete overhaul by a tech (or DIY), add a good DAC and spend less? You could get rid of that "chinese quasi retro look" that means nothing and looks ugly ... and no MONO button! I can't stand the lack of a MONO button.:ROFLMAO: Reviews are sponsorized by manufacturers and is widely known that new amps all sound the same or worse. :cool: