PCB Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't laid out a PCB for 12 years or more when I used to use sticky track tape and pads:dead:

What software do you guys use? What file formats should I be looking at? I understand production shops want layouts in a gerber format, but what is best for circuit entry?

Thanks for these guys,

I've tried the 1st three and as I'm running Linux I can get ExpressPCB running (under a Wine emulator). I'm going to have a go with that and then move on to some of the ones in the 4'th link. Failing all else, I'll maybe consider installing Windows (shudder!!)
Many thanks

Check www.vutrax.cu.uk

Free version has only one restriction: it is limited to 256 pins.

Advantages: Professional, industrial strength product, I've never encountered a bug. On-line documentation and tutorial. Runs quickly and smoothly on 433Mhz PC with WinXP. High quality printing and plotting. Outputs Gerber and Excellon files.

Disadvantage: Longish learning curve, While everything works as described by on-line documentation and tutorial, more application specific examples would be nice. Spice not included but can interface to third part packages.

For Linux use Eagle. The free version is great and the 4-layer version is not too expensive. The manufacturing output is garbage, so I usually use some Perl scripts to fix it up before sending to pcbexpress.

For the Gerber files that Eagle spits out, you will need gerbv from the g-eda project. Again, I have some Perl scripts I use to panellize Gerber segments into larger boards to get around Eagle's board size limit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.