Pearl Acoustic Sibelius

I am glad that someone is seriously pursuing this build project!!! I was working on a similar concept using the Pensil diagram with similar Voight mods.

For those of us who live in the USA that want to build a pair of cabinets, how much trouble would it be for Hondasnl to convert the dimensions to English instead of Metric on his assembly diagram?

Reactions: 1 user
For those of us who live in the USA that want to build a pair of cabinets, how much trouble would it be for Hondasnl to convert the dimensions to English instead of Metric on his assembly diagram?

With all due respect this is a rather strange request as there are plenty of free Imperial to Metric Calculators over the net.
One such example:
https://www.calculator.net/conversion-calculator.html

I think people need to be more pro-active and self reliant.
Of course it's up to Hondasnl to satisfy or not such request.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
I am glad that someone is seriously pursuing this build project!!! I was working on a similar concept using the Pensil diagram with similar Voight mods.

Hi a700256,

No problem.
Here the most main dimensions in inches, others still in mm.
Hope it will help you.

Attachments

• Assembly Sibelius CG-4 - inches_page-0001.jpg
    Assembly Sibelius CG-4 - inches_page-0001.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Assembly Sibelius CG-4 - inches_page-0002.jpg
    Assembly Sibelius CG-4 - inches_page-0002.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Assembly Sibelius CG-4 - inches_page-0003.jpg
    Assembly Sibelius CG-4 - inches_page-0003.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Assembly Sibelius CG-4 - inches_page-0004.jpg
    Assembly Sibelius CG-4 - inches_page-0004.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 69
Understood, but the reason why I ask is because it makes things a lot simpler to attach the drawing when submitting an inquiry for a speaker cabinet build , for cabinet makers in the US.

I was thinking of how this was done on the Pensil / Altair 10.3 plans and doing a similar layout in both metric and English parameters.

Here is a link to the Pensil plans for your reference: http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil103-plan-300114.pdf

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Any cabinet maker worth his salt can work in any dimensions. And the ones i have dealt with have no issues with metic drawings (most of mine althou the CAD sw allows me to automagivally add imperial approximations to the metric.

And the sheet sof ¾” quality ply you buy are very likely 18mm thick.

dave

Yes I saw the Hondasnl revision and I thank you for doing the conversion, although it looks like the baffle board is still listed in the metric size?

Here in the USA we were slated to convert to the Metric system years ago, but it never took off for some reason?

I my opinion it would be easier to use it, as compared to the English system, since everything is based in full numbers with no fractions.

I guess the public is reluctant to try something that they are not familiar with, which seems to be a fear of the unknown.

So now we have two standards that we need to convert to and from, which makes life even more complicated, in my humble opinion.

Since I have the floor for now anyway, I am curious as to how Hondasnl came up with the exact specs?

Did he have access to an original Sibelius cabinet to measure and make observations from?

I made a lot of guesses on my approach to duplicating this design for myself, based on Youtube video observations and information found in the different related audio forums.

I used the Pensil 10.3 plans as my initial starting point and found several Voight pipe designs that seemed to be an accurate modification as compared to the limited pictures of the Sibelius cabinets that were in different stages of construction.

I ran into a big roadblock on this project when I found out the Big Wood Studios stopped accepting Pensil speaker cabinet orders, or any orders for that matter?

So now I am in the process of sorting out the different HiFi cabinet makers in the USA that could take on the Pensil cabinet build using my modifications.

However, if the Hondasnl design would be more accurate than my modified Pensil 10.3 design, then my ears have just popped up!!

Dave,

As you can probably tell, spelling is not one of my strenghts.

Since I have your attention, I had you do the Enable process on some of my Tang Band drivers years ago.

I know that you are not doing it anymore, but I am wondering how difficult it would be using the DIY Enabl kit, for those of us who are not artistically gifted?

I was thinking of using in on my Alpair drivers, but do not want to damage them in the process if I incorrectly do them myself and have to clean off the cones and start all over?