• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PeeCeeBee V5 discussion thread

So today I hooked up the PeeCeeBee to my Vandersteen 3As. I've got my Cambridge Audio BluRay player as source, going through a home-built controller (selector switch and stepped attenuator).

I think I like this slightly better than my Honeybadger build, which is saying a lot. The first thing that jumps out at me is the incredible detail. It's mostly noticeable with percussion instruments I feel like I get a sense of the space the recording was made in. The next thing I notice is the imaging and placement of instruments - if the recording allows for it. There is a separation of sound sources which I don't think I heard with the Honeybadger, with the right recording.

But I keep having this nagging feeling like there's too much of something in the upper frequencies, that I can't quite articulate. Too much detail? There's something really "forward" about the sound. I think it may become tiring to listen to for too long. It makes my Honeybadger sound mellow and relaxed by comparison. It could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the recording and what I'm in the mood for.

All-in-all, I think this is an amazing amplifier! Thank you Shaan for providing us the opportunity to build it!

Reactions: 1 user