Power Supply for Aleph 4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gabriel,

Its about 1.00 am in the morning so like keep the result short.

Using the approach as per our previous posts (ie like your diagram it works! No hum or buzz.

If fact I had to turn off the fridge in the kitchen to hear the noise from the speakers... only a very faint hiss and very minor hum with my ear about 4 inches from the woofer ( all eighteen inches of it @ 96 db).

I will be delighted to hear (and see) how your Aleph 4 project turns out.

regards

macka

Attachments

• speaker2.jpg
    speaker2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 625
Excellent! :D Thanks for supporting my project. Now I can start to build The Thing with peace of mind.

Next step is to find heatsinks with a very high density of fins. Based on my casing limitations, each of the four heatsinks (2 per channel) must be 15"x5"x1.5". Do you think such a heatsink can cool 125W of heat down to an acceptable temperature? What could be a comparison with your Aleph 4? [Note that the heatsinks on the sides will be mounted on a 15"x5"0.5" aluminum flat bar]

I'm affraid I'll have to have those custom made.

best regards,
Gabriel

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
For the heatsinks:

Look at this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2719

I e-mailed wayne to ask about the heatsinks and other stuff, and I got this response for the heatsinks:

> The heatsinks are from:
>
> M & M Metals,
> 908 E. Pioneer Drive
> Irving Texas 75061
> 972-721-7174
>
> Talk to Mike Secor.
>
> What I have is 8 - 9.00" extrusions, profile # MM11645B,
> black anodized.
> You need 4 per amp, they are just under 7" wide.
> You orient the fins vertically.
>
> I paid $14.89 each for 16 (a friend is also making some
> amps and we got the parts from the same place).

That seems reasonable for heatsinks... $60 per channel...

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Nothing is overkill when it comes to the Aleph and heatsinks.

I asked him about this, and he said that they would run a little hot to be commercial units. If you look at the page on passdiy.com, he states the temperature.

I bought some heatsinks for mine, and I was considering the same setup. I got 8 heatsinks that are 8"x9"x2.6" I am planning on the same arrangement.

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.