Quick question about latch circuit!

Hi! Simple dumb question that I can not scratch my brain right now.
I have built this simple momentary switch latch circuit, intentions are to use it with a relay and turn on / off an amp with a push button. Works as intended, only problem is , when the circuit is powered, it starts in the on position. How can I modify it so when power is applied it stays off until I press the button.
- Bruno.

Attachments

• latching-high-side-push-on-push-off-toggle-switch-circuit.png
    latching-high-side-push-on-push-off-toggle-switch-circuit.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 74
Yes. Observe electrolytic capacitor polarity. I have not simulated this so there may be complications, but it should be fine. I see that the circuit depends on a load for pull-down. Perhaps if the capacitor was on the other side of the latch, a ground reference would also work, ie switch to the P-channel gate. I would avoid exotic parts like the dual MOSFET and use common parts like FPQ27P06 and 2n7002.

Last edited:
@MarcelvdG Load was A led with a 330ohm resistor at about 30mA , maybe that was the problem. ( using the 10k resistor as I mentioned yesterday made it work only that if the load was bigger it would " die " and stay off until I would press the button again, that wouldn't happen when using the first schematic. I should test with the relay coil as load, Also with the cap in the position @steveu mentioned.

Attached are some "high voltage" versions. These will not work with 5 Volts. Note that using a P-channel MOSFET as the switch is not a great idea because they always have a higher on resistance, so included is an inverted version using a N-channel MOSFET and a PNP instead of a P-channel MOSFET because they are more common and cheap. The voltage losses of the N-channel MOSFET here are about 0.01V for 2 Amps instead of 0.1V for the P-channel switch. Note that the raw DC has to be floating, ie not grounded.

Attachments

• push-push-hv.png
    push-push-hv.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 39
  • push-push-hv.asc
    6.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Simple dumb question that I can not scratch my brain right now.
I have built this simple momentary switch latch circuit, intentions are to use it with a relay and turn on / off an amp with a push button. Works as intended, only problem is , when the circuit is powered, it starts in the on position. How can I modify it so when power is applied it stays off until I press the button.
- Bruno.
The circuit only works with a suitably heavy load - you could try changing the 100k to 1M, and reducing the 1µF cap to 100nF, that should make it less likely to trigger on power up.