• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

(R. C.) Clark Johnsen "The Wood Effect" book, clean copy inscribed by the author to John Marks

I HAVE CANCELLED THIS LISTING. THE ITEM IS NOW UP ON EBAY.

THANKS FOR READING!

JOHN

Clark Johnsen inscribed this copy of his famous book to me in the early 2000s, or perhaps even earlier. Clark managed to get his book published by Harvard, which always impressed the doo-doo out of me.

People want huge amounts of money for this book (I heard tell of a copy asking more than $800.00). But I'll settle for $120 (or reasonable Best Offer), and ship it at my expense in the US; foreign postage will be at actual cost.

IMG_0340 copy.JPG

IMG_0341 copy.JPG

IMG_0342 copy.JPG

IMG_0343 copy.JPG

Thanks,

john marks

Last edited:
Thanks for your input! eBay has not only raised its rates; if you want exposure, you have to pay to have your listing "Promoted," which easily can run to $7.99. I thought I would test the waters here before putting it up on eBay.

I already have a Charles Rodrigues "Total Harmonic Distortion" like-new copy up on eBay, but that item has much wider appeal. You have to be a total nerd to be aware of Clark's polarity fixation.

BTW, I think the first time we met was CES 1995(?) where high-end audio was IIRC in a separate hotel (the Alexis Park) and I was playing 20-bit NAGRA D master tapes of Nathaniel Rosen's Bach solo-cello Suites, and Clark sat down and immediately declared, "Well, at least the polarity is correct!"

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2011
You don't need any of the extras on ebay. Just post the listing, choose the minimum price if you want an auction,
and that's it. You will do much better on ebay than elsewhere, including here, where most are cheapskates.

I listed a Tek manual here for a few months for $20, but there were no takers.
On ebay it auctioned for $180. Of course, it has to be something certain people would want.

Thanks. And thanks for the chuckle.

I am afraid that you nailed it when you wrote "Of course, it has to be something certain people would want."

Clark's position is easily stated, and that is all most people want or need. To want to pay a premium for a 99-page explanation is only going to appeal to, my guess is, 2% of the people who would get a laugh out of a Rodrigues cartoon.

Charles Rodrigues hifi store demo.jpeg

ciao,

john

Reactions: 1 user
I used to have a copy...lost it, somewhere along the line of life. Clark once told me of an effect on an LP, something like a bird flying that swoops over the left speaker, then over the right, the comes straight at you and goes over your head. He said it only happens on one of 3 different pressings of the LP. His story impressed the doo doo out of me; maybe his way with words is what got Harvard to print his booklet.