Real percussion

Yesterday, workmen jackhammered a section of my neighbor's driveway. I could feel the ground and house shaking.

By comparison, a bass drum reproduced through my Maggies does not shake anything. However, it does have an obvious pitch which is something that the jackhammer lacks. ;)

BTW, I have heard sound reinforcement systems produce more punch than the jackhammer. I think we need to turn off the amplifiers. ;)
Ed

I had a pool put in years ago. I have limestone rock as a backyard. They had to use a jackhammer attachment for the backhoe. It was an unpleasant couple of weeks. I do have a velodyne 18" sub though that can rattle the 2x4's inside the walls. You feel it, not as much as the backhoe did though.

Over the years I visited a number of old forts. At noon some would fire a cannon. I cant remember if it was a 24pounder or the 32 pounder that was fired at Fort Henry. At a hundred yards away you would hear a crack then the thump of the shock wave. Better than any subwoofer I have heard.

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/artillery-5-ontario-kingston-fort-henry

A number of years ago I was sitting on the crapper when there was a lightning strike very close to the house. I jumped about a foot off the throne.

For a good many years I started right at the very front of the Hotter ‘N Hell Hundred (bike rally). Right next to the cannon. Hands over my ears, of course. You can feel the air moving around you when it happens. Standing at point blank range in front of a stack of lab horns has that same feeling, although it isn’t quite as “loud”.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes I used to hear a teen playing an acoustic drum kit, while walking through the neighborhood. I'd think "well, that isnt anyone's 'stereo system'". At least in my neighborhood, no one has Danley HRE1s, with the 4kW+ each it takes to reproduce thunder, @ $40k / pair.

At least we know real percussion repro can be approached. It just takes a little bit "more"... $, W, Fr from 14Hz -

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Balancing throughout the room is difficult, especially at lower/mid frequencies. Tactile feel is in that region.

The balance needs to transition beyond this region despite changing conditions, or it will stand out. The speaker should be designed to meet this challenge. The room can dominate and this is where many speakers have a baffle step and the room interaction effects become more discrete.