Shielded cable - question on how to terminate the shield part

I bought this cable to redo signal wiring in my preamp due to the noise and crosstalk. The shield is going to be connected to the 0V of the preamp but only on one side so I am not creating any ground loops. My question is, how do I terminate the shield on the side that's not connected to anything? I do have to expose the signal wire and also strip some of the insulation from the shield but at the same time I assume that the shield should cover the signal wire almost to the end. I just want to avoid any strands touching anything and creating shorts. Any tips?

shielded_cable.JPG

I would put some heatshrink on it. I always connect it on both ends and have never had problems with ground loops or anything. I will sometimes use a "pigtail" with some hookup wire soldered to the shield, with heatshrink over it as it is easier to work with than the shield itself. When I worked in the semi-con industry as a tech decades ago, they used these on cable assemblies for probe equipment, etc. The ones our assemblers in the lab had used heatshrink with a solder bulb inside. You would put it in place and use a heat gun to solder/shrink it. I would assume these are still made, but I just use some wire of appropriate gauge, solder it on, and put heatshrink over it.

Reactions: 1 users