• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Shinjitsu Audio

At Shinjitsu Audio, our choice of using a Full Range (FR) driver like the Mark Audio CHR120 is grounded in its unique capabilities. Beyond the crossover point, situated around 2K, this driver maintains linearity for approximately 2 octaves beyond the crossover rolloff. This characteristic sets it apart from standard mid-woofers or woofers, which often experience roll-off or breakup before reaching the crossover, necessitating sufficient attenuation to keep the breakup mode at a low volume. The advantage lies in the FR driver's ability to stay linear, coherent, and low in distortion as it seamlessly hands off the signal to the horn. Regarding the CD resistor, it employs a standard L Pad configuration, with the parallel leg positioned atop the cabinet to allow for adjustable attenuation. While our enclosed crossover within the cabinet already incorporates horn high-frequency compensation, addressing the natural high-frequency rolloff of horns beyond 10k. This ensures a well-balanced and compensated audio output.

mark audio CHR120.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I made up a comparison of 3 well regarded woofers same size as the CHR 120 to illustrate the natural roll offs and break up of standard woofers VS a FR driver at crossover. There is audible benefit to having stability in a drivers roll off response 2 octaves beyond crossover point. Maintaining linearity with low distortion 2 octaves beyond the crossover point in a woofer contributes to a well-integrated, coherent, and faithful reproduction of audio, enhancing the overall listening experience.
Hiro-speakers-crossover-point.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
At Shinjitsu Audio, our choice of using a Full Range (FR) driver like the Mark Audio CHR120 is grounded in its unique capabilities. Beyond the crossover point, situated around 2K, this driver maintains linearity for approximately 2 octaves beyond the crossover rolloff. This characteristic sets it apart from standard mid-woofers or woofers, which often experience roll-off or breakup before reaching the crossover, necessitating sufficient attenuation to keep the breakup mode at a low volume. The advantage lies in the FR driver's ability to stay linear, coherent, and low in distortion as it seamlessly hands off the signal to the horn. Regarding the CD resistor, it employs a standard L Pad configuration, with the parallel leg positioned atop the cabinet to allow for adjustable attenuation. While our enclosed crossover within the cabinet already incorporates horn high-frequency compensation, addressing the natural high-frequency rolloff of horns beyond 10k. This ensures a well-balanced and compensated audio output.

View attachment 1260197
yes, a low frequency or volume limited two way………the market for this is very narrow IMO and not a speaker I’d be interested in……..add a woofed and make it a 3way?……that I could get on board with.

Thank you for sharing your perspective! We appreciate diverse opinions we'd like to highlight that our FR driver, the Mark Audio CHR120, actually performs impressively in the low-frequency range. In fact, our speaker is designed to play well down to 25Hz, providing a full and robust low end.

Additionally, with a sensitivity of 87dB, it can handle up to 50 watts with clarity and efficiency. To give you an idea of the volume, when driven by 50 watts, the speaker can produce a sound pressure level of approximately 104 dB. It's important to note that 104 decibels is considered quite loud, similar to the sound of a motorcycle or a power lawn mower from a close distance.

While it's true that the market for two-way speakers might be narrower, niche products like ours often face less competition, allowing us to establish ourselves as leaders in this specific segment.

We understand the appeal of three-way systems, and it's great to hear different preferences. With fewer components handling different frequency ranges, two-way speakers can provide better coherence between the drivers. This can lead to a more seamless integration of sound across the audible spectrum. Our goal is to offer a speaker that excels in various aspects, and we believe our design achieves a well-balanced and compensated audio output.

If you're in pursuit of extremely low frequencies, especially those below 25Hz at levels capable of making your pants flap, considering the addition of a subwoofer might be the solution.

If you have any questions or if there's anything specific you'd like to know about our speaker's performance, feel free to ask!"

Last edited:
Hi Allen,

I appreciate your observation regarding the recent post. I want to clarify that the intention behind the post was not to promote a specific speaker but rather to highlight the popularity of 2-way speaker designs. I aim to delve into a technical discussion comparing 2-way and 3-way speakers, focusing on the advantages of full-range drivers like the Mark Audio CHR120.

In the post, I emphasized the prevalence of 2-way speakers and their non-niche status. Specifically, I wanted to discuss the technical merits of the FR driver as illustrated, such as the eloquently engineered rise in low bass before resonance. This characteristic eliminates the need for a dedicated woofer, resulting in a 2-way design with robust bass as opposed to a 3-way one.

The benefits of this 2-way design include fewer crossover parts in the signal path, a smaller cabinet size, concentrated financial resources allowing for higher-quality drivers, and improved phase coherence. Additionally, the absence of a dedicated woofer contributes to reduced shipping and construction costs, enabling us to offer a superior product at an affordable price compared to compromised alternatives.

I hope this clarification accurately conveys the intended message, and I look forward to engaging in further technical discussions on the forum.

Axial plots play a crucial role in ensuring proper crossover design, especially when it comes to understanding a speaker's on-axis frequency response. While cone breakup and certain off-axis issues may not be fully revealed in axial plots, these plots provide valuable information about how a speaker performs in the direction it is directly facing. The axial plot, which represents the on-axis frequency response of a speaker, provides a fair representation of what a listener may hear when the speaker is toed in at a specific angle, such as 15 degrees.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
A single plot of any angle can't show the scope of breakup. Further, if you choose the 0 degree axis it may be less helpful than others since..
1. The response variations may be the furthest from average, and
2. The representative area is very small..

ax.png

Points well taken. In this discussion, it's essential to highlight that while esoteric and eccentric measurements may be intriguing, they don't necessarily correlate with overall product satisfaction. Our focus remains on practical and meaningful design choices that directly contribute to customer value and satisfaction. We prioritize transparency and reliability, steering away from unnecessary complexities that may not enhance the actual listening experience Emphasizing a commitment to quality, a design approach that employs tested and well regarded components ensures funds are allocated appropriately, prioritizing essential components without compromising on performance. It's important to note that the components noted are sourced from reputable companies like Mark Audio and B&C which have undergone thorough testing and are well-regarded. This ensures that our dedication to delivering value is backed by the reliability and excellence of the components integrated into our designs.

Considering our commitment to thoughtful design, I'm curious: are there main drivers known for having no breakup nodes? If you have any in mind, please share, and we can explore the possibilities together through consideration and testing for potential design enhancements. Your insights are valued, and I look forward to an open exchange of ideas