So how do I buy miniDSP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, thanks Charlie.

Are there any miniDSP dealers in the USA?

Here is the mail I sent:
--------------------------
Hi There,

I’m interested in miniDSP.

I have 2.1 setup (stereo plus sub woofer). I would like to be able to: Stereo source > crossover to left & right > cross over to sub woofer > equalize left & right & sub woofer.

What can you offer me product wise? Which MiniDSP? Which Plugins?

Are there any plans for limiting function?

How long to deliver to California USA?

Many thanks,

[/QUOTE]
OK, thanks Charlie.

Are there any miniDSP dealers in the USA?
No.
Here is the mail I sent:
--------------------------
Hi There,

I’m interested in miniDSP.

I have 2.1 setup (stereo plus sub woofer). I would like to be able to: Stereo source > crossover to left & right > cross over to sub woofer > equalize left & right & sub woofer.

What can you offer me product wise? Which MiniDSP? Which Plugins?
You need one of the "crossover" products. I get the idea you want this to be a stand alone unit, and you are not building lots of DIY electronics, so I suggest the "in-a-box" units, either one or two of the 2x4, or the 4x10 (this also has digital inputs and outputs). These range from about $110 each (for an unbalanced 2x4) to $399 for the 4x10. You will also need to purchase an appropriate power supply once you choose which one(s) to purchase.

A single 2x4 can work for you if you just want to highpass your existing speakers and then lowpass your subwoofer. You could do up to a stereo 4-way with two 2x4s or the 4x10. All of these have several fully parametric EQ bands that you can use to EQ your subwoofer.

As you know, you will also need to purchase a plug-in for the product. The plug in is like the software that makes it run, and there are different plug ins that do slightly different things, force mono or stereo operation of the crossover, and so on. If you have questions about which plug in to choose, check out the web site or post here and I or someone else will help you figure it out. You need to decide on the hardware first, then you can choose the plug in for it that best suits your needs.

So, at the end of the day, it depends on your budget, and how much additional flexibility/capability you want to have from what you buy. I personally use two unbalanced 2x4 units on my main system (one on the left channel, one on the right channel) and like them very much.
Are there any plans for limiting function?

How long to deliver to California USA?

Many thanks,

I have no idea if there are any plans to implement a limiter, but I doubt it.

I recall that it took about 5 or 6 days to get my order once I placed it online with MiniDSP. I live in NorCal.

-Charlie

Thanks for your time.

OK. I see my problem now. I just called them and got talked through the web site. I also pointed out a couple of dead links that they are going to fix.

Turns out there are different ways to view the available plugins... and the way I was viewing them I couldn't find a suitable one to use!

Anyway, long story short I ordered a 2x4 miniDSP in a box and this plugin http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief- 2way Xover 21 ADV plug-in.pdf

Should be good for what I need.

Now I need to find a decent SPL meter and I can get this show on the road.

@ But it Hertz, we typically answer all emails within 48~72h. We do receive a lot of inquiries so we do our best to answer all questions. A good read on the user manual and online content does help.

DevTeam

Yes, I appreciate this and I'm greatfull for Tony's time on the phone tonight.

In my case your website was not working flawlessly for me... between the dead links to manuals (that I told Tony about) and the fact that I couldn't find all the plug-ins available (because you see different plug-ins from different parts of the site) .... it didn't quite make sense.

If you want me to help polish / proof read your website, I will do for free. Just let me know ;)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is a "compressor/limiter" function mentioned in the user manual for the 4x10 Hd.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 13.03.46 .png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 13.03.46 .png
    115.1 KB · Views: 299
There is a "compressor/limiter" function mentioned in the user manual for the 4x10 Hd.

That's interesting info! Tony told me only the 8x8 had a limiter ... but that's out of budget for this project.

I have placed my order already. Looking forward to playing with it.

I also ordered an SPL meter and USB sound card for use with REW.

Can't wait to get it all.

Geeez. That web site is soooo complicated to navigate!!! For such geek-centric products it is a terrible effort!

IMHO that combined with direct sales only means they are not doing themselves any favors..

They could be doing so much better. Just letting Amazon hold stock would be a massive improvement.

Login to the MiniDSP site and go to Your download section. It's there!

No, only a link to the Adobe Air installer is there, along with a note that says "Once your order processed by our customer service, your plug-in will be available in this section of the website. Note that only a single email will be sent once the order ships from our office."

I never received the mail. Are they usually this rubbish to deal with?

Are they usually this rubbish to deal with?

:)

no we're not and it's been 3 years that we're happy to help the community by answering all emails AND providing a product at a low cost for the community of DIYers out there. :) A simple email to our team @ info@minidsp.com and you'll get an answer within 48-72h. I'm guessing that you're Ian and that you're inquiring about your plug-in? (i.e. only email we received about plug-in not being able to be downloaded). For some reason we can see the email coming out of our server on the date of the purchase of the product. Not sure why you didn't receive it... :-( However a simple email and we're happy to help! :)

Have fun with your product,

DevTeam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.