Standardizing crossover components values?

Hello

I'm new to passive crossovers. Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I found the following old thread : https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...h-order-linkwitz-riley-2-way-at-3-khz.339215/

I am also trying to use a 4th order linkwitz riley crossover(in my case 2.5k), and I found the following values through a calculator.

C1=8.44 µF
C2=16.88 µF
L1=0.16 mH
L2=0.72 mH
C3=25.33 µF
C4=5.63 µF
L3=0.48 mH
L4=0.24 mH

However, I have no idea how to "standardize" them as the thread I found says.
(e.g. changing 8.44uF to 10uF)

As I understand it, the calculator multiplies cratio and lratio by a certain value, and it seems that increasing or decreasing these ratios by the same percentage will result in a completely different filter.
Can anyone tell me how to "standardize" specifically?

Did quite a research but couldn't find the answer :(

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
LR means Q=0.5

1. How will both components be standard values and equal 0.5 exactly.. that's unlikely? What is the benefit?

2. The filter won't use the same values for different speakers since their impedance and response requirements vary..

Hello

I'm new to passive crossovers. Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I found the following old thread : https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...h-order-linkwitz-riley-2-way-at-3-khz.339215/

I am also trying to use a 4th order linkwitz riley crossover(in my case 2.5k), and I found the following values through a calculator.

C1=8.44 µF
C2=16.88 µF
L1=0.16 mH
L2=0.72 mH
C3=25.33 µF
C4=5.63 µF
L3=0.48 mH
L4=0.24 mH

However, I have no idea how to "standardize" them as the thread I found says.
(e.g. changing 8.44uF to 10uF)

As I understand it, the calculator multiplies cratio and lratio by a certain value, and it seems that increasing or decreasing these ratios by the same percentage will result in a completely different filter.
Can anyone tell me how to "standardize" specifically?

Did quite a research but couldn't find the answer :(
Check out a component supplier such as Solen https://solen.ca/en to see what "standard" capacitors and inductors are available.

Odd value capacitors can be created by combining various values in parallel (or series). Custom inductors can be tweaked by partially unwinding larger inductors to obtain the values you need, though this is a little tricky knowing when to stop. An inexpensive LCR component tester such as a Mega328 or GM328 may be of assistance. You can google these on Ebay or Amazon.

Well, my original understanding was that LR crossover circuit is a ratio not a fixed value, so that I can make an equivalent circuit with various values of C and L.(so I can fix one cap value and adjust the other components likewise)

I think my understanding was wrong, and now I think I should find the closest caps and coils that the calculator gave me. Plus I don't have to get the exact component the LR calc gave, but rather modify the values by the vituixcad simulation curve plot to make it closer to ideal LR curve.

Can someone verify that my understanding is correct?