The Great Great music for equalisation thread

When using an equalizer I often get to a band where there is no music content. Mostly in acoustic trios or other simple recordings. Sometimes i can almost turn it from 12 db plus to minus without hearing a difference.

Please let your suggestions flow. Be it full sounding pieces/recordings or tunes that are revealing in a more narrow band. Perfect or in aspects perfect recordings.

Most importantly: SWEEET MUSIC!!!

- Unless you have a good reason it deserves representation even though it sounds like a sick rooster.

Come come!
Cheers!

Some bubbler suggestion I found on the competitions interwebpage:
I havent heard half, so I wont promote any to the opening post yet.
Also no mentioning of specific usefullness for EQ. Cheers!

Alan Parsons & Stephen Court – Sound Check 1 and 2

Steely Dan "Aja"
Steve Winwood--Roll With It
Freya ridings 2019
Tracy Chapman
Anything from Dirty Loops

Patric listens to Fleetwood Mac, Chain and says "excellent stereo left to right fade, great drums, and a lot going on that helps determine the speed of the drivers.
Eric Clapton, unplugged, before you accuse me for imaging and staging. And lastly, don't laugh, taylor swift, cardigan, bit, the long pond studios version. I use this song for.texture and tone, to me its very raw"

Meshell Ndegeocello regarding production, arrangements and sound. Especially
  • Peace Beyond Passion
  • Ventriloquism
  • Comet, Come To Me
Tim proposes for SQ:
Annie Lennox - Bare (Esp 1000 beautiful things)
Blank & Jones - Delerium & Rani - Fallen
Delerium - Poem
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (esp Brothers in Arms)
Dire Straits - Love over Gold (esp Telegraph Road)
Donald Fagen - Nightfly (esp Ruby Ruby)
Enigma - Cross Of Changes
Faithless - Outrospective (esp Evergreen)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Heather Nova - The Jasmine Flower (esp Ride)
Heather Nove - Redbird (esp Motherland)
John Coltrane - Bags and Trane
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
Lene Marlin - Playing my Game
Madonna - American Life (esp Die another day)
Massive Attack - Collected (esp Angel)
Mike Oldfield - Crisis
Natalie Merchant - Ophelia (esp Frozen Charlotte)
Pat Metheney - Offramp (esp Are you going with me)
Peter Gabriel - So
Pink Floyd - Division Bell
Portishead - Dummy (esp It could be sweet)
Santana - Amigos (esp Europa)
Santana - Shaman (esp The game of love)
Santana - Supernatural (esp Put your lights on & Maria Maria)
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing (esp Angel)
Sia - 1000 Forms of fear (esp Big Girls Cry)
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
The Stranglers - Peaches (esp Golden Brown)
Tina Arena - Don't Ask (esp Chains)
Van Morrison - MoonDance

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Measurements are of course a great help to dial in best sound on eq, but sometimes, you just dont have a mic and a computer with Audacity around😊
Sorry to raise the question here...but If you don't have a way to first measure your setup's acoustic performance in-room, and then correct your setup's acoustic output for at least flattened amplitude response (SPL), then aren't all other considerations pretty much uncalibrated opinions vs. someone else's uncalibrated opinions--listening on other completely uncalibrated setups?

Isn't that a very low quality substitute for truly useful information--in this case concerning as-distributed recording quality that can be easily EQed out? (This is a real question.)

BTW: That appears to be the same game you find in "audiophile magazines" where virtually nothing of actual substance is present other than someone else's uncalibrated artful opinion (except that money is flowing one-way toward those enterprises publishing). I don't know about you but my experience with generally uncalibrated critics of art, music, and music recording quality has been uniformly poor, especially in light of today's information age.

Audacity (or other freely available platform-specific music analysis/editing apps) are free to all that can access this forum, so therefore--by definition--available to all that post and read here. There are lots of free video tutorials on how to use these apps--for many purposes. To advocate yet another Steve Hoffman Music Forum here is not what I'd consider terribly useful (in my opinion). YMMV.

Everyone's got an opinion...but precious few are generally useful, I've found.

Cheers,

Chris

Reactions: 1 user
Im just looking for good music to eq by ear if I move a little bluetooth device or ghettoblaster to the bathroom or outside. Not for finetuning my stereo. I did use Audacity and a good mic plenty of times for this and other uses. If I have to drive different vehicles on my job, my boss probably wouldnt allow me to bring all this every time. Im sure In not the only one who fiddle with eq to get better sound from my in-ears or hearing protection without doing a major operation. My brother has shared a playlist with tunes he uses for "subjectively" evaluating equipment privately and as an acoustics engineer. Organizer and speaker of AES events and all. This thread is also an opportunity to inspire people with music they dont yet know they like. By the way. My Tidal started playing a lot of Diana Krall the other day. Pretty awful😄 Musically for me I mean. Only heard her mentioned in tons of reviews before.
Oh yeah Ive thrown too much money and more importantly too much time from trusting and thinking I learned from I now understand incompetent and or dishonest reviewers before I finally got a good stereo. This forum helped me a lot. Audiosciencereview would have got me there a lot sooner had it existed.
To get on track; Do you know any good and wellproduced/sounding tunes @Cask05 ?
Cheers!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
You mention Tidal. Is that the most common hi-res streaming service that forum members use? Would it not benefit readers of this thread to have an evolving public playlist there or elsewhere with which to queue up for listening?
I recognize it’s all down to time and effort… I’m not volunteering. :clown: Just adding the standard “You know what would be great…” perspective from the peanut gallery. I tend to agree with the general list offered earlier. Things I would add off the top of my head not already included are Buena Vista Social Club, Tool AEnima, and Beck Sea Change.

Last edited:
When using an equalizer I often get to a band where there is no music content...
What is the EQ bandwidth? Anything more about the EQ type? Some have different curves and or different phase responses at different amplitude settings.

Also for each song, what is/are the band or bands with no acoustical content? Not clear on why you didn't mention that...

Reason I ask is that I have heard some pretty poor EQs which almost seem to do nothing, and other EQs that can have quite surgical effects. Not quite clear on what is going on here.

Last edited: