The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

The Plinth has the role to manage energies being produced.
Some are using Methods such as Mass to Damp the Energy, (soak it up, minimising the distribution to other parts not needing to receive produced energies), there are Polybentonite Resin DIY Plinths produced that do this effectively and are seen in use within this thread on SP10's. The same material can be found DIY Produced on other TT's.
Resins are used by other TT Manufacturers and will share similar traits on how they impact on the end sound.

Some are using dissipation as a means to channel produced energies effectively/ efficiently away and dispersed.
(Dispersal as a method can minimise the amount of energies being stored, hence able to be transferred to other parts not needing to receive produced energies).

From an Engineering Point of View, the Phenolic Resin Impregnated Densified Wood is with properties that when measured are ones as good as optimised for achieving both the above and much better than typical selected Plinth Material.

Rainer Weber the owner of Kaiser Speakers has a substantial Career in Engineering, he describes P'holz in a Link below.

To add lib on Rainer's description:
A wood used for a Phenolic Resin Impregnated Densified Wood, is put through a process that leaves it Delignified.
This process removes all the natural Phenolic Materials in the wood that are impermeable and resilient to force.
The Delignified material is improved in the properties of being malleable and compressible.
The Materials removed through Delignifying the wood, also leaves enlarged cavities within the structure of the wood, making the Synthetic Phenolic Resin able to fully impregnate the entirety of the Cavities when submerged in resin in a High Heat Vacuum Chamber.
The compression of the wood is achievable with the force used as a result of the delignifying process.

Less Loss in the Link clearly shows the merits of P'holz as a material.

Similar Measurements as Less Loss for P'holz and P'mali EV6 were made known nearly 20 Years past in the UK, which is possibly the foundation to the growing trend.
I have seen recently that the individual supplying measurements for P'holz similar to the Less Loss method with a sample size, has most recently made known measurements for Plinth Dimensions. The Damping and Dissipation is seemingly more attractive, I intend on making a direct inquiry about this most recent data.

Note: As in all things Audio System Building.
Densified Wood is a material that has become an attractive material to a selection of individuals through their experiencing it in use, which one might suggest is the best method to form a assessment of it how it can make an impression.

A selection of individuals reporting on a good impression made, does not mean that to all individuals, the use of D'wood will have the same impact and create the good impression. As in all things Audio, the individual has an attraction to differing distortions.
If dedicated to the Journey of discoveries with Audio, where the individual gets on and off the Bus, in relation to finding their preferred distortion stop, or having found their Stop where preferred distortion has been found, is their unique Journey.

When the Big Brands such as Linn adopt Densified Wood, as they now have. There will be a lot of convincing to potential customers taking place around the Globe, strongly suggesting that densified wood is now critical to having the ultimate experience from a TT and the Customer has now arrived at Journey's End.

https://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id=80

https://www.monoandstereo.com/interview-with-rainer-weber-of-kaiser-acoustics/

Reactions: 1 user
PLEASE stop posts about sprung chassis TTs. So many threads on this whole site have been made almost impossible to follow threw off topic posts which give rise to nothing but confusion and difficulty in following the main theme. Incidentally the real reason that Linn was so successful was due to marketing - not performance and SQ.]

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
I agree that it is nice and fun to do things on your own but it is well known that hifi is now a hobby for elderly people born when these same people were children or teenagers.
This is to say that looking for Formula 1 performances for people over 50/60/70 with physiological hearing loss not even comparable and comparable to a boy doesn't make much sense; better to enjoy music for the little time left to live... my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks to 6L6 and JP, I'm joining the SP-10 owner's club - it is supposed to arrive next Monday. It is a bare chassis in need of a plinth and arm, so I'm just starting to pore over this long thread, and Jim is sharing plenty of information to me. I might possibly build my own plinth, but so far haven't decided on the materials. Also, I haven't yet found any source of the resin impregnated plywood being discussed. Since we have several nice turntables, I'll take my time to do this right and make it a really nice turntable system.

Reactions: 1 users