Thoughts about egg carton type surfaces

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I know that egg cartons themselves don't do much: but I was unpacking some IKEA furniture this week and I'm wondering if these or something like these could be used as a diffuser panel by gluing several of these to a sheet of stiff cardboard using PVA glue and if they would work to any degree?
I'm not sure that SWMBO would actually allow me to screw such panels to the ceiling.
Could they qualify as "Art" if I got the grandkids to paint them in bright colours and hung them on the walls?
PVA and sample pots of paint are relatively cheap
Usable or just a dumb thought and I need to chuck them in the compost?

Attachments

• IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2547.JPG
    IMG_2547.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 76
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yeah, I imagined...
But again, what's the purpose of substituting two ears (and a human..!) with a (single) mic?

Because an analysis is the only way to have reliable data. UNBIASED data which help to evaluate the efficiency of the treatment. Then you could use your ears to tune to taste.
But it could be argued that preference or taste are biased too... and you need to know why you apply an acoustic treatment at first.

But if you doubt about the ability of a mic to 'tell' how a diffusor sound ( or other acoustic treatment) examples at 9mn 50s:

Moondog, if you can fill them with concrete then maybe this kind of shape could help with diffusion otherwise don't expect anything below 6khz.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes unbiased: hard cold analysis of the results you get from the dut.

No eyes to influence what you listen to, no brain which play tricks on you.

Mind you in some field of application customers won't pay for 'feelings' but needs hard proof of efficiency of what is purposed. Measurements and simulations are a way to achieve this ( and why pro document the treatments they build/use).

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes it is.
I mean when you hire an acoustician to do a job you have the right to be sure it's not just blabla...
And the acoustician usually base the design on some science like psychoacoustic which need some kind of consistency of results and target to be reached ( threshold).

This is usually not a way to 'embelish' things or satisfy some kind of preferences.

If that is your thing then fine.
If you looked at the video you probably spotted use of diffusors for a recording of violin ( at Lucas Ranch, for a movie). In this case this is all about embelishment of source.
But those are instruments not loudspeakers reproducing a message, constraints and requirements are differents imo.

Ymmv, and if you have (a lot of) time to spare on empirical experiment then have fun! It is fun to do but frustrating too as you shoot in the dark and have few way to be sure of what it does.

Different approach.

Moondog,
You want to treat your ceiling? How deep (height) are these cardbox?

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Maximum height of the IKEA packers is 155mm.
So far I've only got one small panel glued up and not yet painted.
Unfortunately a heap of those packers went into the compost bins by mistake last week, Ill have to ask around and try and get more.
Also SWMBO has vetoed the ceiling placement but she is OK with having them painted black to match the speaker wall where the TV is

I've recently moved my office (at work) downstairs, during the clearing, it was remarkable how much the acoustics of the room changed, a room that I was familiar with for many years and quite cluttered, but all hard objects apart from a cheap office chair. But I soon got used to the reverberation of the empty room - although if I played music in it (the hi fi had already been boxed up) I guess the effect would be like biting on a lemon .

I would paint these with a good exterior house paint and then make rubber latex moulds out of them. Then cast a few hundred copies, cover the walls with them, and make my own starship interior. With lots of LED lighting of course. It would be extremely cool, and dead sexy, but I don’t think it would improve the warp drive one bit.

Reactions: 1 user
I've recently moved my office (at work) downstairs, during the clearing, it was remarkable how much the acoustics of the room changed, a room that I was familiar with for many years and quite cluttered, but all hard objects apart from a cheap office chair. But I soon got used to the reverberation of the empty room - although if I played music in it (the hi fi had already been boxed up) I guess the effect would be like biting on a lemon .
Ya, makes a big difference in sound.

Visited once someone complaining about bad sound of his expensive speakers but he had one side of the room with glass and nearly no damping at all.

He later invested into better, expensive parts for the crossover but refused to do any room tuning because of design reasons.