Transfer Function/Room Boost Calculator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Transfer Function

For now, I'm just looking figure out the boost on frequency independent of room reflections, modes, etc. I realize that this is a simplified account of response, but I want to, at least, take care of this variable. That way I have made the problem of positioning in the room less of a tradeoff between output and smooth response, even though I will not have entirely eliminated the problem.

Am I making any sense?

Dave

The problem is that depending on placement and room shape alone there could be close to no gain, going all the way up to 10-12dB at 20Hz in a very small (car) room.

Room shape is far more important than it's volume. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of room interactions could suggest a room shape with a small volume that offered very little gain, and a room with much larger volume that offered a huge amount of gain.

You could always measure your room's transfer function. Details on how to do this in a car (it should be rather similar in a room) are available at http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/cartf/

In my qualitative experience, room gain isn't nearly as high as most suggest it is unless you consider corner placements.

You can measure your transfer function pretty easily using a cheap radio shack SPL meter and an existing sealed driver that is large enough to produce SPLs above ambient in a relatively anechoic enviornment (the middle of your back yard for example?) in the lower frequencies of interest.

jt

jteef said:
You can measure your transfer function pretty easily using a cheap radio shack SPL meter and an existing sealed driver that is large enough to produce SPLs above ambient in a relatively anechoic enviornment (the middle of your back yard for example?) in the lower frequencies of interest.

jt

That is such a great idea I just tested out my new sealed Tempest subwoofer driven with 500W in my back yard. My neighbours complained so I came inside. It is definitely "above ambient" at 20Hz. :)
And it conforms almost exactly to the WinISD simulation. Slightly deeper response, actually. Must be the extra stuffing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.