TraxMaker/Circuitmaker 2000

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have been using TraxMaker (part of Circuit Maker 2000) for over 20 yrs. I recently moved across to KiCAD and am getting to grips with that for all new boards moving forward

However, I still have a lot of boards on TraxMaker but have a problem that has recently emerged. Everything works ok except the DRL files are corrupted and are complete garbage. Has anyone else found this problem? I am unable to import the Gerber files into KiCAD PCB because although the tracks and board outlines are all ok, it can’t read the DRL file because it’s corrupted.

(I won’t be designing new boards on TraxMaker).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
Is this a continuation of your earlier problem where you needed to use an older MS windows os version?
I have no experience in exactly what you are doing but can offer a couple of suggestions.
I am not sure where your problem lies, is it traxmaker creating erroneous drill files or is it that kicad can’t figure them out?
Maybe it’s the Gerber file viewer issue with kicad. Try a different Gerber viewer. It could be the settings for reading in the excellon drill files like imperial vs metric, sometimes I have issues with the precision or format settings, like 2.4 or 3.4 etc
Are you able to load up any of these designs having problems to jlcpcb to see how they interpret the data?

I don't think your DRL files are corrupted.
I was using EasyPCpro for many years.
Then they came out with a new Gerber version.
The pcb houses couldn't read my files.
That's when I switched over to DipTrace.

Have you tried installing TraxMaker in an older pc that runs Windows XP ?
You should be able to check your DRL files with it.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

The problem is definitely not in KiCAD because if I open the DRL files in eg Notes or Wordpad, the file is corrupted - it’s all garbage. All the other Traxmsker files are ok.

I took my old PC to the computer shop and they were able to recover the hard drive and transfer everything to an SSD.

All the programs work ok and Traxmsker is ok except generating the DRL files.

I guess I’m stuck at this point unless I can fix this. Very frustrating.

Changing over to a different ecad is almost like starting over from scratch again.
I do not know the process you are following so maybe describe what you are attempting to do?
I have never heard of importing a mfr data set (gerber/excellon drill) into a ecad system and then be able to generate a netlist let alone draw the schematic from that data. gerber is just a bunch of flashes and drawing vector primatives.
Please explain.
If I was switching over to say kicad I'd get the libraires sorted out first, then enter the schematic, go to layout and then duplicate comp placement, routing, rules etc to be as close to the original. Its a lot of work, no easy way.

Good Luck Sir

FWIW I still keep an XP machine, an old Dell Optiplex 2700

Blinding fast running old software such as Corel 5 which I still use for front panels and such, Protel Autotrax and Tango, etc.

Why not upgrade everything?

I have hundreds of designs made with them still in production.
After over 14000 amps delivered I always have old customers or their pupils asking for some Classic model, etc.

Incompatible with Chinese fab houses (I guess) but don't use them anyway, always silkscreen panels and PCBs.

Chinese $5 offers disappear when I have to pay $35 minimum Courier fees plus 50% tax over that.
Think everything has a $50-60 fixed fee over actual cost.

Add to that that Fab house offers are good for small boards.
Ever try to get a quote for a long Guitar preamp board?
Say 20-24" long, size dictated by board mounted potentiometers, jacks and switches.
You will be horrified.
Also try to draw that within modern software size limits (think Eagle and such).
While old Autotrax allows 4 foot by 4 foot boards if you need them.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
KiCAD Gerber reader will import Gerber files incl the DRL file. It imports my Traxmaker files ok except for the DRL files, which as I’ve noted, are getting corrupted by my PC (old and new PC). If I take an old Traxmaker zipped up file from a year back and send it to a Chinese PCB house, they can make it. The problem is projects done over the last 3 months have corrupted DRL files.

i can’t redesign 30 or 40 PCB’s on KiCAD. I can only design new boards on KiCAD.

The problem is projects done over the last 3 months have corrupted DRL files.
Need to solve that one if you wish to continue with that toolset
If I take an old Traxmaker zipped up file from a year back and send it to a Chinese PCB house, they can make it
Use one of those designs to load into Kicad, since you know they are good.
KiCAD Gerber reader will import Gerber files incl the DRL file.
Okay so will any other gerber viewer, you can look at fab data, it does not allow you to edit a design as in a netlist change or other type of design change
i can’t redesign 30 or 40 PCB’s on KiCAD. I can only design new boards on KiCAD.
Well hopefully you do not need to do any layout changes to those 30 or 40 PCB’s and your good to go. If not back to top :)

Just recently Renesas purchased Altium which I find out is an Austrialian company.
Have you ditched any plans to upgrade in the Altium toolpath and hopefully preserve your IP (previous designs) or go the Kicad path?

Incompatible with Chinese fab houses (I guess) but don't use them anyway, always silkscreen panels and PCBs.

Chinese $5 offers disappear when I have to pay $35 minimum Courier fees plus 50% tax over that.
Think everything has a $50-60 fixed fee over actual cost.
This is not a Chinese fab house compatible issue, its a cad tool issue
Making your own pcbs is a royal PITA. Soldering is bad enough :) I am fine with China pcbs, half the damn parts are made there anyways.
I agree that delivery charges are higher than the finished goods, its coming from China BTW. Your post $, taxes are your countries problem, I pay regular HST 13%, same as I would for anything else I buy. Doing small volume mfr, the China pcbs are a god send, as otherwise it would not be possible (financially or economical) to DIY and small volume mfr.