vFET guitar amp

I am certainly interested in both approaches! Maybe I'll give the ACA mini a go first.

Are there any good resources on this subject matter you would recommend me to take a look at?
KMG shows full winding data in the page linked above. Turns, wire (mostly 0.6mm enamelled wire), core.
If you can't get the one he used, which is somewhat special , use regular EI Silicon steel, what everybody uses. Just pick a lamination size with same core area or the next higher up, check that wire fits in available window size.
Russians use Metric cores (same as Germans and all of Europe) but you can find a "same or next larger* US core.
Project is very doable.
KMG is a talented EE working for Russian Subway and Electric Train on those huge control panels as a "day job" and doing this as a side Hobby, with impressive results.
His 12AX7 emulation is the best so far, anywhere.

How would the size of the OT relate to something like the depth and presence controls of the KMG? Just make sure it is large enough to make use of the lower end of the depth control?
His design is fine.
If adapting it for US laminations pick same core area or "next larger".
Listen at his demos, including side by side comparison with "real" tube powered JCM800

Reactions: 1 user
His design is fine.
If adapting it for US laminations pick same core area or "next larger".
Listen at his demos, including side by side comparison with "real" tube powered JCM800
Thank you. His stuff does sound incredible. I will have to make an amp based on one of his projects. I am in Eurpoe (Ireland) so metric measurements are good for me. What does he mean by 20x60 core? Is that not missing a dimension for core area? Sorry if that is a silly question, I'm not familiar with winding my own transformers.

Should look again at some closeup for scale comparing it to some nearby component but (without looking) he might be meaning
  • "E" center leg width of 20mm so full lamination width 3x that so 60mm , by 60 mm height, or:
  • 20 mm center leg width, stacking 60 mm
Slightly "too rectangular" for my taste but not impossible.

In any case very different looking to each other so not difficult to decide.
Too late now, will check tomorrow.
What city are you from?
I visited Ireland in the late 80s, including the customary "visit Grandpa's town" near Galway 😄

What about driving an output transformer with lateral mosfets such as ECW20N20 (Exicon)? Vds Max of 200 V, high power and temperature stability (NTC) for bias point. I think it may be possible to use a standard output transfo for guitar amp with those.
Because of the push pull output transformer, you can expect drain voltages twice B+ when the amp gets overdriven. That would mean you can run the exicons at 100v or so maximum, and so I don't think you can use a standard tube output transformer.
Look at the KMG amps, he uses 200v mosfets and 80v B+.

Reactions: 1 users
I've always wondered if those cheap and relatively easy to find PA system distribution matching transformers could be used in an output stage. Some have plenty of winding taps, which I believe can be symmetrical for 2 primary windings, center tapped. Of course, they have the multiple secondary taps also, for speaker connection.

The trick would be to design around the transformer you can actually still buy. I'm pretty sure I've read where folks have done this using tubes; I would think a SS device would be far more forgiving in an attempt to match whatever the impedance is, presented by a hopefully available center tapped winding designated as "70V" in its original usage intention.

One would think, such a topology would preserve at least some of the speaker impedance interaction with the output stage, going back through the magnetic coupling of the windings. I'm imagining Drains of FET devices connected to each side of a symmetrical primary winding, with a B+ voltage on the center tap. Biased to some appropriate quiescent current flow, with two signals from a phase splitter modulating that bias current.

I suppose here is where simulation becomes your friend. The B+, bias current, power dissipation and protection of the output devices from being connected to an inductor with constant current flow in case of disruption (like the speaker becomes accidentally disconnected - the FETs arent big metal plates in wide evacuated space) would be some design challenge.
The 70V distribution transformers are usually autotransformers - no isolation from "primary" to "secondary" - all one coil with taps.
However, there might be an interesting approach to using them similar to the approach taken by McIntosh amplifiers in some of their amps. In this case, the output stage would still be a typical complementary-symmetry approach, with the output feeding the "hot" end of the autoformer.
I am considering building such a beast (mostly for fun) and using an approach that employs the LT1166 Class AB driver chip designed especially for vertical MOSFETs. This chip takes care of all of the biasing, overload protection, and thermal runaway issues sometimes found in vertical mosfet designs. The application support documents appear to be nicely written.
These chips appear to be in plentiful supply through the usual distribution channels,

Why is there no quote function for LVQ's post but previous posts have it?

The 70V distribution transformers are usually autotransformers - no isolation from "primary" to "secondary" - all one coil with taps.
However, there might be an interesting approach to using them similar to the approach taken by McIntosh amplifiers in some of their amps. In this case, the output stage would still be a typical complementary-symmetry approach, with the output feeding the "hot" end of the autoformer.
I am considering building such a beast (mostly for fun) and using an approach that employs the LT1166 Class AB driver chip designed especially for vertical MOSFETs. This chip takes care of all of the biasing, overload protection, and thermal runaway issues sometimes found in vertical mosfet designs. The application support documents appear to be nicely written.
These chips appear to be in plentiful supply through the usual distribution channels,

I have not come across an autotransformer 70V transformer and I have six different types. I have used them in P-P tube circuits,

LT1166 Class AB driver chip designed especially for vertical MOSFETs. This chip takes care of all of the biasing, overload protection, and thermal runaway issues sometimes found in vertical mosfet designs.
Pretty nice chip you found there, by the sounds of it. The idea of using the transformer - when you dont really have to - is to get whatever color it imparts, as it functions as liaison between the amp's signal and the speaker.

Because of the push pull output transformer, you can expect drain voltages twice B+ when the amp gets overdriven. That would mean you can run the exicons at 100v or so maximum, and so I don't think you can use a standard tube output transformer.
Look at the KMG amps, he uses 200v mosfets and 80v B+.
Just an opinion here, but I don't see why a standard tube output transformer would have a problem with running at lower B+. Of course the max output power is reduced, less efficient etc, but a B+ at 100 Volts in push pull, the Mosfets could drive 200 mA or so and could still make decent power, well within their limits.