What do members of diyAudio use as music players?

moOde and Volumio don't require Linux knowledge. Just read instructions and follow the menu prompts. I prefer sound from moOde. All of these can become complicated if something goes wrong so expect to invest some time in learning your way around a Rpi and the network. But you shouldn't need to learn about command line as you do in many of the more raw players.

Hi !
Hardware :
_Tuner FM+ Digital +web Radios (Majority) Optical fiber to Dac
_Laptop Samsung NC10 2Go Ram 1.6Ghz
___SSD 240M (internal) for System, specif Dac's drivers
___SSD 2To USB external ( thousands Flac files! )
_USB isolator PC>dac
_usb to Spdif : SMSL Pro100, DXIO Pro3z, Musiland
_Dac : SMSL Su9 , Topping E50 ,Cambridge DAC3 (only spdif)
Sofware:
_Windows 8/32 optimized for Audio,
_JRiver30
RC

I use, this.

this

this

this

this other one

this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQaXsWwUW2w

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmAJUOXBwTQ

Does this count?

P1050784.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
When this thread first started I thought all of you streaming guys were crazy. I was totally committed to analog playback. Fast forward a few years and I listen to Amazon Unlimited almost exclusively either through a McIntosh mb50 straight into an amp or via my laptop with eq apo and peace into a benchark usb dac.

Fanless 10 year old thin client running OpenBSD. It plays radio and local files controlled through ssh. MPV and MOCP are my players of choice. And I can send youtube-links through KDE-connect from my smartphone.
The PC sends bluetooth APT-X to a class d amp. No extra DAC in use.

This is a fairly simple and stupid setup. I dont like the complexity of databank based organisation.

Last edited:
CDs ripped to FLAC files on an SSD / PC
Windows 11 PC using "Media player" to cast to device via wired ethernet cable.
Wired (Ethernet) connection to Marantz NA6005 media player
Dual mono BA3 preamp, into dual mono F6 into Dallas II back loaded horns.

Sounds good to me and I can work it!
Media player will play stored albums, or from a randomised playlist.
Also, it's free with Windows.

I know the Windows haters are just waiting in the background! Don't care!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^

Why do you mix a Marantz Media Player with a PC?

Why not just use a good USB DAC hooked up directly to the PC? Use one of the many players ( foobar, VLC, media player, etc.. ) already available for the PC?

You can also use an Android tablet using Wifi to connect to the PC (share the drive) and an USB/OTG cable to the DAC.

And... how about just using an NAS with RAID5... then you won't have to bother with lossless encoding... just store your music files in WAV format. Use a file share application program to connect to the networked file systems in the Android or just mount it in your windows box.

Old school... i.e., physical media

Digital: CD->Rotel RCD-991->SPDIF->Res. Audio Opus 21->Pass Aleph P pre->Odyssey Stratos->Von Schweikert VR4 Gen2
Vinyl: Thorens TD320 MkII->Salas FSP->Pass Aleph P->Odyssey Stratos->Von Schweikert VR4 Gen2
Headphones: Digital or vinyl source routed thru preamp to Gilmore DynaFET->Modified T50RP or DCA Ether C Flow planars

I'd like to do an NAS with ripped media into a Rasberry Pi-based streamer and into the Opus 21 via SPDIF using Roon or something. Need to look into that.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^

I got two NAS with Plex servers in them... that's good for raw storage of 80TB. 60TB when you allow for the parity drives in each.

Then I got other USB-3 RAID drives attached to Window/Linux machines, exported over the Intranet, so that's another 40TB... about 30TB net.

So, that's a total of 110TB.

I've been thinking of upgrading to 16TB hard drives one of these days.

And local non RAID.

Oh, don't do RAID of any kind on an SSD. You will ruin them with writing too much too much to them. SSD do what's called "Write Amplification" because they can only write to entire sectors....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user