What do you think you are doing!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
What do you think you are doing!? (lurkers look here ;)

Now is the perfect time for all you lurkers to get in here and make a post. I keep getting emails from people saying that they lurk, but I have trouble believing it :)

<li>What are you doing?
<li>Where are you from?
<li>How long have you been doing it for?
<li>What inspired you to go to such lengths to try and build your own stuff?
<li>Do your friends think you are wierd?
<li>Do you have any stories to tell?

It doesn't matter how trivial it is, it would mean a lot to me to see what people are doing so that I can focus my energy on giving you what you want.

Wierd !?!
Well yeah of course...gee , lol.
The strangest thing is that most people who want a music system don´t want to spend a lot of money.
But they still think that "do it yourself" projects cost a lot. They can´t really understand what makes something sound better. So it´s strange when you can make a very hi-class sound amp or speaker for a fraction of what it would cost for a comercial piece and friends or relatives think it is a lot of money for something without a brand.
So I think diy is more for ourselves and some friends who can apriciate good things.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Sorry, in case you didn't know, here's a <a href="http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/projects/t1glossary2000/_lurker.html">definition</a> or <a href="http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/definition.html?lookup=3841">two</a>.

A visitor to an online discussion who reads other people's postings but does not contribute.Lurking is a good way for a beginner to get familiar with a newsgroup or forum.

In the Internet, a participant in a chat room or a subscriber to a mailing list or newsgroup who passively observes but does not actively participate in the exchange. [Bahorsky]

Most recent projects

My most recent DIY audio project was my subwoofer. I started looking around and auditioning commercial subs about 2 years ago. I've heard all of the "standard" ones from Velodyne, M&K, Klipsch, etc. Each was an exceptional performer, but entry-level for the quality I was looking for was about $2,500. Then I stumbled across a few web pages where folks were talking about subwoofers. I had lots of interest in the HSU Research TN series "tube" subs. They offer performance on a par with the above brands, but cost closer to the $1,000 mark. I was almost sold on the HSU model until I discovered that it is relatively easy to make a cloe of the HSU -type subs for even less money.

The first DIY site I found was Ron Stimpson's web page on building your sub. For less then $600, he build two subs that can compete with the best of them.

I spent plenty of time playing with simulation software like Win ISD that help you predict performance for different driver/box combinations. The driver I selected is from Audiomobile. I chose it for its low Fs, low Vas, high excursion, and high power handling. There are many other fine drivers available, another one is the Shiva.

Subs are actually one of the easiest construction projects as far as speakers go. The hardest part was finding the sonotube material. It took a weekend or two to assemble once I had all of the parts, and I drive the sub with an old amp that I have. The performance is amazing! I'd go head to head with any sub costing up to $3,000 any day and come up even or better.

I'm just starting to collect parts for a Pass a40 amp, but I suspect it will be several months before I actually start to put it together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.