What is that?

Czy ktoś wie, jakie są te głośniki? Waga 25 kilogramów głośników Audax

:cop: translation: "Does anyone know what these speakers are like? Weight 25 kilograms of Audax speakers"

:cop: Please post a translation. I did this with google translate.
:cop: Proszę o przesłanie tłumaczenia. Zrobiłem to za pomocą tłumacza Google.’

20231217_121749.jpg

Attachments

• 20231217_094942.jpg
    20231217_094942.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20231217_094934.jpg
    20231217_094934.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does that say HD20? From the first photo they don’t look that big. This, or a variant (there were many) were used in the Tangents i was so fond of. And i have a set of wall-mount (give away) with the 6.5” woofer.

Do all the drivers work? If so i would suggest time to build a better enclosure. Better material, better alignment. I wonder if the woofers would work in Joan (bigger, lots more bass gain and extention)?

dave

It is a home-made box. Look at the slot head screws. I guess it was made in an East-European country, where this type of screw was common. Also the box wall thickness (which is a good point) suggests it is not factory made. Commercial boxes have less thickness.
I can imagine it sounds good. Once I also built from Audax speakers, they are pretty good for the price.

Hello,

I´m quite shure, this is a fairly solidly built version of the DIY-speaker kit from Falcon Acoustics called "The Tabor". By myself I bought a pair of these kits around 1980. Alas, i don´t remember if the crossover came as a set of parts or already mounted on a circuit board.
Sound from these speakers was fine, but a little bit lacking in midrange resolution when compared to a typical 3-way system of that time (to be specific: a loudspeaker from the german manufacturer MAGNAT).

Best regards
Eberhard

Last edited:
I´m quite shure, this is a fairly solidly built version of the DIY-speaker kit from Falcon Acoustics called "The Tabor".

The Tabor was designed by Malcolm Jones of Falcon Acoustics who, prior to joining that company, did most of the design and development of the legendary KEF drive units: the B139, B200, B110, T15 & T27.

The DIY kit incorporated drive units from Sonaudax, a British company that that no longer exists. The tweeter is a HD12-9D25 and the woofer is an HD20-B25.

The crossover came pre-constructed.

See attached image for comparison purposes.

Tabor image 1.jpg

We may presume that Sonaudax, a Southampton company of the late 70s to mid 80s, distributed Audax drivers.

I read that Sonaudax exported their top of the range Image 301 speaker to Japan.

Attached is the Materials List for The Tabor, which attributes the drivers to Sonaudax.

Tabor image 4.jpg

The fruits of my further research:

"One of the most popular systems to be designed by Falcon was The Tabor, which was supplied as a kit in many countries and made as commercial systems by 3 companies - with minor modifications. Many thousands were supplied over the years."

Malcolm Jones wrote an article on The Tabor in the September 1977 edition of Hi-Fi News & Record Review, from which the Materials List in my previous post is extracted.

And, Malcolm Jones helped distribute Sonaudax drivers.