What Is This "filter"?!?!?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok... now I stumbled on to something very strange inside my Sony VPL-SC50... I just took out some filter (had a little greenish and little reddish tint depending on angle so it was UV and IR in the same thingie I guess....) but what the heck is this thingie that was behind them?
It's about 3mm thick glass with waves... and it has something like bars on a jail window made out of something totally reflecting mirror stuff, you can see them in the image I attached... Could this be a some really stupid way to make a low lumen projector differ from a some higher lumen projector? Just to deliberatly make a "filter" that makes half of the light disappear?!
I think sony uses the same lamp on some higher lumen models, and its pretty weird that there'd be 500 more lumens out of same 120w lamp, hmm?
If none of you have a really good reason for this filter, I am going to try to rip it out of the thingie to see what happens if I use the projector without it.

So, what do you think?

Regards
HB

Attachments

• whatisthis.jpg
    whatisthis.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 185
Omg lol... I sawed a bit of the casing so I could take out the mirroryjailbarish thingie, and I got it out. I attached image of it. Its metal. Its reflective. I have really hard time trying to figure out what could this kind of thingie do that would be good for the image.... Any ideas?

Regards
HB

Attachments

• whatisthis2.jpg
    whatisthis2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 153
ace3000_1 said:

That strange metal thing might well be a beam splitter or some kind of a polariser to polarise the light before the lcds polariser polarises it, (helps keep the lcd cool), some pics would be good. Is it a 3 lcd unit or a single?
Yea it might be a polariser, that metal grill and the glass which it was attached, and there was originally a small fan cooling the optics at the place where the metal grill also was. I attached a picture of the glass. The grill was covering all the area that is not burned, and also I might add that the burned bits are some thin plastic film that is attached to the glass.

Well, I got definetly 20-30% more light out of the thing by taking that metal grill and the glass which image is attached to this post, so I am still wondering about the necessety of these bits of optics (well, of course I am now waiting for my LCD's to burn up, but well, at least they made trough last night's about 2-3 hour test run ok) :\

HB

Attachments

• glasbit.jpg
    glasbit.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 122
Here is attached a rough drawing of the optics inside of the Sony VPL-SC50. The yellow dot is the lamp, the purple one is the UV/IR filter, the first gray block is kind of a wavy glass thingie, probably its purpose is to even the light some way (its same kind of thingie the dentists have in the lamps) (the uv/ir has the same kind of waveness), the second gray block is the glass that had the plastic strips on it and the weird structure, and also the metal grill attached to it (the dark thick line there stands for the metal grill), then there's some lense, and the rest is mainly guessing after the first big mirror (the blue lines are mirrors). In the end there are the red, green and blue lcds.

The original is the original setup with the UHP lamp which had nice reflector and so on. V. 0.1 and v.0.2 are with the 150w double ended HID, crappy reflector and crappy lense (I am going to get one of those lovely HQI-R bulbs for sure as soon I can afford it!). The v.0.2 gives at least 1/3 brighter image then the v.0.1 :\

btw, any ideas based on the drawings how to make the thingie work better?

Regards
HB

Attachments

• sonyvplsc50.jpg
    sonyvplsc50.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 90
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.