What was/is the pinnacle of multichannel processing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is not quite the perfect forum for this, but as I was reading yet another pipe-dream diy digital decoder thread, I was reminded of analog multichannel decoders. Sure, there were many that were associated with vinyl source, although I was thinking more of the batch of cheap analog decoders that sprouted up during the early days of Dolby when a digital processor was $$$. Did anything become of these? Were there any attempts at high end multichannel audio with decoders that process in the analog domain? Did these just die off?

See my comments in another thread about the '70s. There was a whole zoo of analog high-end multichannel processors. The very best, to my ears, was Ambisonics, but there was so little material released in that format, I never took the plunge myself. Very fiddly setup ensured marketplace failure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.