What's Next Amplifiers

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My THF-51 parts still sit and wait, but not for F6. Thinking sing bush right now. I built F6 with the basic mosfets so ubiquitous in First Watt amps.

I have the proper (that First Watt used in F6) outputs, but F6 isn't what I will use them for. My F6 morphed into Aleph J. I used it's Jenson transformers for an Iron Pre beta build, the rest
Sit in box waiting...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't have a preamp that can drive the F4 to full output with my standard 2V RMS source. With my usual preamps I can get at most 6 or 8W, but that turned out to be loud enough for me.

Getting a pair of SITs (say THF-51S) isn't a bad idea. They are rugged and you can play around with them in many designs. And while they aren't cheap anymore (probably near 250 USD/pair) that's still in the neighbourhood of the cheapest 300B tubes.

Lots of fun amps available on this forum. :cheers:

Thinking sing bush right now.
Zm has the best amp and pre-amp names around. My favorite is whats wrong with the kiss boi!? Got that project going as well!
I have the proper (that First Watt used in F6) outputs, but F6 isn't what I will use them for. My F6 morphed into Aleph J. I used it's Jenson transformers for an Iron Pre beta build, the rest
Sit in box waiting...
thats the best part, you can reuse components for other projects.
don't have a preamp that can drive the F4 to full output with my standard 2V RMS source. With my usual preamps I can get at most 6 or 8W, but that turned out to be loud enough for me.
I think I took the whole will it drive an F4 joke a little too seriously!
Getting a pair of SITs (say THF-51S) isn't a bad idea. They are rugged and you can play around with them in many designs. And while they aren't cheap anymore (probably near 250 USD/pair) that's still in the neighbourhood of the cheapest 300B tubes.
I spend a lot of time watching papa’s burning amp videos, and almost all of them mention a SIT design or another. Of course they are not the cheapest parts available, but their uniqueness and rare character makes them a part that justifies its additional cost. The other nice thing is that they are available. 300bs can be pricey but the components needed are also very expensive.

I was interested in tube gear before getting on this site. I feel that SIT’s are better alternative. More just from reading what other people have mention on this forum, not from actual experience.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
T4B -

As you rack up a ton of excellent suggestions...

There are a few questions for you and others to consider as you progress on the endless journey for "What's Next?" and maybe choose what's 'immediately' next and then rack up a list for what's next after that... and after that... and after that... 😁

• Do you need a full list of parts with part numbers from manufacturers/suppliers or a kit provided for you?
  • Are you ready for SMD soldering?
  • Is there a build guide of any type? What guidance and support is needed?
  • What are the consequences of an error? How likely are you to make an error? Will you give up... or will you persevere?
  • Do you need a different chassis and/or to modify your heatsink drill pattern?
  • Does it need a different PSU?
  • How "advanced" is the project not only from the standpoint if the availability of a guide / guidance, but in terms of build complexity?
  • Are you looking for something as the next "challenge" to build skills and/or a different type of amp that might perform differently / in a different way to what you have now?

Only you can prioritize any of the above... and that's certainly not meant to be an all-encompassing list; only things to consider.

I'd suggest building the F5m next. Seems like a no-brainer. If you can do it without the guide (and I think you can), it'll be one more excellent build that (to me) has enough of a different character to the AJ to make it really fun to build and listen. Plus, you've already got everything you need.

My :2c:

Reactions: 1 users
I was interested in tube gear before getting on this site.
We seem to be on a bit of a parallel path, I have owned a few tube amps, still have a Dynakit ST70 and also a CJ pre that dates way back, both in storage :( The character of sound from the Pass amps scratches my itch for that tube like sound without all of the issues with tubes.

@ItsAllInMyHead good suggestions as always, yes, the F5M is likely to be the next amp that I build. Likely the M2X next. I had been some what intrigued by SIT amps and with @Jacruzer787 description of their sonics am wondering if I should score some SITs to have for a future build? I assume like all other wonderful components these will become less and less available.

Regarding SMD soldering I did a few on the P3, came out ok but I'm pretty certain the remaining ones will be much better.

As to the raison d'etre, FUN! Ha, that and a good challenge keeps the brain active as well as the finished product soothes the soul.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ Do you have a suggestion as to which I should acquire?
Whatcha wanna build?

Pick a project or set of projects...

Kind of two main groups of the SITs / VFETs commonly discussed...

Sony - There's two popular groups of Sony's (bigger and smaller) I'm aware of (and there could be more). Call these the "originals" that became hard to find. Check out all the Sony VFET threads from commercial amps all the way down through the 'anniversary' amp and its derivatives. Check out the N and P channel VFET amps most recently that included the "lottery" amp. Some super cool front ends that can be swapped in and out. The later amps surrounding the "lottery family" are all SMPS powered. There are cool SMPS filters too, but of course, you can change to a linear supply if that scratches an itch. You can also decide if you want N and/or P. If you ever want a complimentary project, you can do that too... if you want them matched based on planned or conceived projects for more output... some folks sell sets of matched devices NN, PP, NP, if I recall.

Tokins - All "Big". THF-51S and 2SK182(ES) are the one's I've seen. Some very cool projects. Look up some of Zen Mod's / Ben Mah's and others work. Call these the "industrial" substitutes that clever folks found after the supply of the "audio" originals started to run dry. Now... that supply has mostly run dry also it would seem. Rumor has it that someone has a sizeable stash. May have even been used recently in a commercial amp, but I'm truly not sure.

All the above is only from my admittedly shoddy memory... mainly... do some reading and see what interests you the most. Get what you can find at the budget you can afford / willing to part with.

They're (comparatively speaking) pretty "spendy" as we say around this area... so... my advice is to read, then buy. If you're a man of unlimited means... just get a few each of both (or is it 3) different varieties of the Tokins... and a couple of each of the big and small Sony's in both sexes. You'll be set. :D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Call these the "industrial" substitutes

rumor is that Digital Do-Main Honcho practically rebranded existing stash of SITs, declaring it successor to 2SK77; in fact, there is a thread here on DiyA, one of clever Greedy Boyz (knowing language) got all facts in line
of course, ZM having memory of peanut size, thus having habit of saving everything ....... then only problem is to figure title of saved thing :rofl:

here it is : https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/new-sit-old-problem.124730/post-1537367

anyhow, Papa said "these are really the best"; made for audio or not, who cares - they're mst linear for our purposes

but, I'm happy with any - THF51, 2SK180, 2SK182; good enough in my book, me having wide green and foot tapping

important note: Schaded mosfets (several ways of doing it) are damn close to Real McCay; one can have different spending priorities and still be happy with money left for electronic parts

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
This looks to be a good option?

watanabe on fleabay and member Pras here, trusted sources

I know watanabe changed moniker on fleabay ( feedback flawless, so that no reason) .... is that him, can't remember

shoot me with PM and I'll give you his personal e-mail; not sure I'm allowed to share it publicly

Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you aren't careful you are going to have tons of parts (some quite $$$), a mountain of PCB's, kits, tools, test equipment, a bunch of wire and cables, and dozens of projects at different levels of completeness laying all over the place.... wait that's me.. :)

Reactions: 4 users
This looks to be a good option?
Check some of that same sellers other items. He has them matched for a bit more. I also think that the 2sk180s for sale. Search the swap meet thread for vfets, there is a member who has matched sony vfet parts.

IMG_9748.jpeg
dont be like me and buy a MTX car amp because it mentions VFET, to open it up and be really disappointed that its just a marketing gimmick…

• Thank You
Joined 2003
Paid Member
We seem to be on a bit of a parallel path, I have owned a few tube amps, still have a Dynakit ST70 and also a CJ pre that dates way back, both in storage :( The character of sound from the Pass amps scratches my itch for that tube like sound without all of the issues with tubes.

@ItsAllInMyHead good suggestions as always, yes, the F5M is likely to be the next amp that I build. Likely the M2X next. I had been some what intrigued by SIT amps and with @Jacruzer787 description of their sonics am wondering if I should score some SITs to have for a future build? I assume like all other wonderful components these will become less and less available.

Regarding SMD soldering I did a few on the P3, came out ok but I'm pretty certain the remaining ones will be much better.

As to the raison d'etre, FUN! Ha, that and a good challenge keeps the brain active as well as the finished product soothes the soul.
Everyone needs an Aleph J. You just need one.

Russellc