Will this 12DC relay work for my situation?

I want to use the 12v trigger outlet on my Denon X3800 AV receiver to turn on/turn off a small AC Infinity brand S6
Aircon fan. The fan has a wall wart AC adapter that plugs into 120v and outputs.43A. The fan uses 5 watts.
Here's the relay.. https://a.co/d/ cBCG37K Can't I splice the "normally open" leads into one of the wires on a 1 ft, 120v extension cable that the wall wart adapter is plugged into and the 12v trigger from the AV receiver into the 12v side of the device so it turns the fan on and off?

The link doesn't work, so can't comment on the relay. But I would tend more toward using the relay to break the low-voltage side of the wall wart, i.e. leave the wall wart powered at all times, and switch the output (not input) of the wall wart. This avoids any risks associated with line-side wring.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry about the link. Here’s the title on AMZ..

OONO DPST 1NO 1NC 8Amp Power Relay Module, AC/DC 12V Control Voltage​

There are several other like it.

The output of the wall wart says 12v DC, 1250 mA max.

So I guess I can just use a DC/DC relay? 12v DC from receiver’s trigger on one side of the relay and the 12v DC of the wall wart on the other side of the relay?
Can I just use an automotive 12v relay?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Sure. I think I was writing about RS and you about RR. I don't know what the resistance of a (non-SSR) relay is.
In the case of SSR and RS I ended up using one because the router I was controlling seemed to -briefly- fire by itself once in a while and I found the tip in a forum.

1707506554884.png

Perhaps you want to do the 12V circuit? But I would use a "smart power bar" that slave ~120VAC outlets on the master plug. I use these to turn on lights behind my TV(s) whenever the TV is on. There is also "smart" plugs that operate from Wi-Fi etc. but that is an extra control and not automatic. Smart power bars were intended to turn off your monitor and speakers (etc) when you turn off the computer, but you can use it to sync a component stereo, TV etc. The current draw on the master plug triggers voltage to the slave plugs. Beware that many powers bars that have no master-slave switch call themselves "smart power bars".
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-...+controlled+power+strip&qid=1707514821&sr=8-3

Last edited: