Would like to upload an SVG avatar / image...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
uploading an avatar in SVG

SVG is only 25 years old? Real image formats come from days of teletype terminals. <G?>

I thot we wrestled this idea (some sort of vector graphics) in semi-private before the software change and, whatever the 'caniuse' page says, it is not that easy yet.

I can't see an advantage over GIF/JPG for 160px 70px images. Yes the new forum allows much bigger input images and does something to display them small, but like Dave I prefer to pack my pixels personally.

On Windows, Irfanview will convert almost any image. https://www.irfanview.com/

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
for 160px 70px images

The native rez that i drag off the profile page is 384x384.

346.jpg

dave

So I have been digging down on why member avatars are fuzzy looking despite uploading a large sharp avatar (except for the single character two-tone color avatars which is created by the system, they always look tack sharp), for instance my current "T'ES'T" avatar is originally 1728x1728px, and is an even integer multiple of the 54px avatar appearing next to each post, and also with the non-rendered 48px avatar, in an attempt to minimize some fractional-pixel artifacts, but it's not that simple.

There are at least 6 different avatar sizes on this forum platform, and all of them are re-rendered into a different size due to the html code which apparently overlooked the issue.

The avatar picture which the member uploads is automatically scaled and saved to at least 3 different fixed avatar sizes which are 48x48, 96x96 and 192x192, whereof from these 3, 6 new sizes are re-created inside the browser itself (ie. becoming rendered) in real-time at the moment the web page is loaded in the the browser, that due to the render resizing set in the html code being different than any avatar sizes, hence the browser performs a second re-scaling of an already scaled image.
The 3 initial avatar sizes 48x48, 96x96 and 192x192, which still looks sharp and quite ok, are never displayed to the user but rather used as a base for re-rendering into 6 other sizes, which all look rather poor.

On the members profile page one can find 4 different sizes:
48x48 (rendered as 24x24)
48x48 (rendered as 54x54)
96x96 (rendered as 108x108)
192x192 (rendered as 216x216)

DiyA 4 avatar sizes.png

the two other avatar sizes are found on the "new posts" page list:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/
48x48 (rendered as 27x27)
48x48 (rendered as 36x36)

As an example I have chosen a few avatars appearing next to member posts in discussion forums, and for that I have prepared and considerably up-scaled them so even a cotton eyed fuddy-duddy should see the difference.

Left column: non-rendered, which is never shown.
Right column: the re-rendered version which we see in our browser.

Avatar TEST original.jpg Avatar TEST rendered.jpg

Avatar Pano original.jpg Avatar Pano rendered.jpg

Avatar planet10 original.jpg Avatar planet10 rendered.jpg

Avatar PRR original.jpg Avatar PRR rendered.jpg

The picture editing process was done by taking a bitmap (BMP) capture of the rendered avatar sized 54x54 pixels (capture size is also exactly 54x54), then up-scale it to 432x432 which is an even integer multiple of 8, no interpolation used so each pixel is scaled up x8.
Next, a capture of the non-rendered avatar sized 48x48 (and capture size 48x48), up-scaled to same size 432x432 which is an even integer multiple of 9 (instead of 8), no interpolation so each pixel is scaled up x9.

As can be seen the rendered avatar has more pixels but due to the double processing is much more smoothed out and therefore appears less sharp and contrasty, and this is what spurred my interest for possibly using vector images for the avatars, but looking at an non-rendered avatar image I realize they look quite ok and SVG is not really needed, but as mentioned unfortunately never shown to the user, instead we get a rather underwhelming rendered version.
Besides that, integrating SVG images on a web page seems to require a bit more modification under the hood so I will not delve more into it.

What does @Jason think?

@planet10
I had some fun working with your avatar, so I replaced the white edge around its perimeter (visible when forum dark theme is used) with a transparent feather edge, use it if you like.

Attachments

• green-eye-blue-monet reworked.png
    green-eye-blue-monet reworked.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: