wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

I have to admit I thought I had set PCM as the player but had indeed used wav.

The good part is I get that little bit of extra goodness that comes from pcm AGAIN.

I would be glad to try single purpose players but I have no way of knowing how to do it.

I know with WINDOWS, which is basically a jumble of modules, one could easily remove stuff. We got XP down to 18 mB with cMP and it sounded much better the smaller it got. No comparison to the sound of WTF, of course.

I have no idea where to begin with LINUX.

How does one look inside with it?

I guess the real question is: how much smaller would WTF be with only one of those options?

Where would these files reside?

Let me know if that is not asking too much. I f it is I understand.

Thanks and take care,

Rick,

There is certainly a merit in making smaller, more specialized software, however we may be facing the law of diminishing returns here. Having said that, there are are a few more experiments that I want to try, which may make the software even more efficient (not necessarily smaller).

F

Hi frd, hi all,

coming back to the RME Digi96/8 Card, there is a remaining problem:
The Card accepts only a few combinations of period size/period counts,
and these are different for 16bit- and 24/32bit files.

Playing via wtfcui with the combination 2048/8 will work with 16bit files,
but not with 24/32bit files - for playing these files i have to set the
combination 1024/8. So I can only play either 16bit or 24/32bit songs in a playlist.

Is there any possibility to bring wtfplay to accepting my 16bit files as
24/32bit files to allow for playing songs with mixed bit-depth in one playlist?
Or any other solution?

besides this, though an absolut Oldie, the Digi96 makes an excellent job - as wtfplay does!

Best Wishes,
Otto

rme96 is indeed quite explicit on buffer-bytes size linux/rme96.c at master * torvalds/linux * GitHub . On the other hand IMO calling snd_pcm_hw_params_set_buffer_size_near ALSA project - the C library reference: Hardware Parameters and snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near ALSA project - the C library reference: Hardware Parameters (or the other _near methods) should configure the nearest value acceptable by the driver and snd_pcm_open should accept the initialized hw_params. I do not know what is used in wtfplay but the _near versions are more or less standard.

MUTEC MC-3+ USB Compatibility

Hi Frd

I continue to enjoy and marvel at the subtleties revealed by using WTFplay - Bravo !

I'm considering a different signal path in my system and wonder if the MUTEC MC-3+ USB format converter will be recognized natively by Linux/WTFplay ?

MUTEC say that it's compatible with "Linux PC's", but does your tiny image contain the required driver(s) ?

Thanks again for this incredible player (Hearing is Believing !).

Grant

MUTEC MC3+ USB...

Frd & Otto

Thanks for the replies. Today I have confirmed for myself (in-home demo) that the MUTEC plays well with WTFPlay. Seems to bring more Magic to the sweet spot !

I am definitely getting greater precision and detail in my current "test piece". Vocals are much easier to follow, and individual tone and/or production effects are distinct from the instruments. I don't think this little box is going back to the dealer ;)

Interestingly, it's easy to hear the AES connection outdo the S/PDIF path into my processor (Anthem Statement D2)... at least with the present set of humble cables.

Thank you again Frd for such a fabulous music player !

Grant

Greetings- i am very excited to get wtfplay up and running. i'm using an old macbook air (2015) and was able to install the system via USB drive. it's working, except there are no local storage media found with either the mnt command (likewise, as would be expected, in the GUI interface.)

any ideas or tips?

thanks in advance

Hi,

I suspect that your OSX is running APFS file system or Core Storage Logical volume manager. wtfplay-live cannot access those. Here are some details about:

Apple File System - Wikipedia
Core Storage - Wikipedia

If you want to just try wtfplay, then put some music onto a memory stick (FAT32) and plug it after wtfplay-live has booted. You do not strictly need the boot memory stick when the system is running.

F

Polarity Inversion for wtfplay ?

Hi Frd

A small request (which I hope requires a small code change): is it possible to assign a key command to invert the polarity of the signal coming from wtfplay ?

Back in the Olden Days (ie: cPlay), I found some of my albums sounded "better" when the polarity was inverted (often referred to as shifting phase by 180 degrees). Toggling between the two during playback could bring some surprises.

It would be oh-so-fine if that ability came to wtfplay. I could drive myself batty with renaming WAV files that benefit from the change !

I suppose there is the practical issue of how to indicate which polarity is in effect (0- or 180-degrees). The header in the wtfcui panel has room for an indicator, but command line playback is a little trickier.

Thanks again for The Tiny Miracle... :D
Grant

Hi !

Today a friend of mine told me about this project, so I downloaded it and now I am running it on my NUC6i7KYK.

However the DSD files dont lit in ambar colour in my Btyston BDA-3. On the ohter hand in my box I have setup for raw media file as is recordered. Your player is bit-perfect?

Thank you for share with us !

Greetings from another gentoo user.

Hi,

I took a look at BDA-3's manual and it seems the DSD LED lights amber when the DAC is receiving native DSD stream, that is without DoP envelope. Try using wtfplay-dsd, when running with IU wtfcui -x wtfplay-dsd.

wtfplay plays DSD using DoP
wtfplay-dsd plays DSD natively

Both are bit-perfect.

F

Hi Frd

A small request (which I hope requires a small code change): is it possible to assign a key command to invert the polarity of the signal coming from wtfplay ?

Back in the Olden Days (ie: cPlay), I found some of my albums sounded "better" when the polarity was inverted (often referred to as shifting phase by 180 degrees). Toggling between the two during playback could bring some surprises.

It would be oh-so-fine if that ability came to wtfplay. I could drive myself batty with renaming WAV files that benefit from the change !

I suppose there is the practical issue of how to indicate which polarity is in effect (0- or 180-degrees). The header in the wtfcui panel has room for an indicator, but command line playback is a little trickier.

Thanks again for The Tiny Miracle... :D
Grant

Came here hoping for an update!

But saw GW's note.

I would love for this to be available too.

I do not see any need for specifying which polarity - it is either better or you go back to the "other".

By the way - GW is right - the MUTEC box and WTF make one great combination. Of course, a simple "slow" cpu/motherboard are part of the equation along with the new HDPLEX ATX supply and the biggest switcher you can justify. I have found the no fan, extra heavy duty MEANWELL to be superlative. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Hope all is well for the great FRD: who has given the world the best digital music playback. If only they would give it a listen. Too many audiophiles seem to be pictophiles ...