• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

XSD Speaker Crossover and Waveguide GB

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Thats right jack, I recall sending you the flawed boards now, I just whizzed through my messages for anyone who reached out about boards after the first GB closed.

XSD XO GB2 Status
Name / Qnty (pair) / Country
———————————————-

dawa / 1 pair / Sweden
mordikai / tentative / unknown

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bkhatton tells me his XSDs are up and running. He had some issues with setting the correct polarity on his drivers. He’s using the GB crossover PCB. He said once the mids were reversed it sounded great. Not sure why this was needed as the XO I designed worked with the tweeter flipped negative. Wondering if anyone else has first sound yet and any issues with the XO?

Joined 2020
Paid Member
That seems odd, I think between your XO and mine the only difference is that I used a ground plane. I just checked the single blank board I have and everything matches your printed schematic. I hope I didn't mess anything up. I'd be happy to send you the KiCad project if you wanted to double check X.

I am working on my speakers further this week, the goal is to have them ready for painting by the end of weekend. X, what scews/washers did you use for midrange mounting? Your cabinet maker suggested window clips, but I feel like screws would be more secure.

@dawa @mordikai as far as the GB goes, we aren't hearing anything further from people. I'm not sure if you still want to move forward or see if more people join in. With only 2 pair needed, the cost would be much higher than the previous GB. Let me know your thoughts please.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Bloqhed,
I looked at the Gen 1 board you sent me and it all looks good compared to my schematic except for the incorrect polarity label on the tweeter connection, which I think you fixed on the GB boards.

If the connectors on the driver itself were reverse labeled, this would explain things.

The best thing to do is to use a 1.5v AA battery and connect to each driver and check for correct movement. Woofers should all squeeze air out of the slots in +ve polarity and mid should move forward. Tweeter is AMT so cannot tell and you have to go with their label.

I used a combination of #6 and #8 3/4in long black oxide wood screws from Parts Express. On the mid, I used a decorative nickel cupped washer under the screw head to prevent the screw from piercing the baffle.

I am pretty sure I used 4x #8 screws on the PRV’s (from the back).

On the tweeter waveguide I used 4x #6 screws. Which is what they were designed for. On mine I had a hole with a nut and bolt. But if you have a 1 piece baffle, a #6 wood screw is fine for waveguide.

1672280466305.jpeg

On the GRS woofers, I used #6 wood screws I think. I would have used #8 but they wouldn’t fit.

1672280576200.jpeg

Hope that helps.

More info in the technical thread.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/the-xsd-speaker.385717/

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Thanks X, very helpful. I'll keep build talk to the technical thread.

Correct on Gen 1 vs Gen 2, only difference is a single trace was moved. In regards to the driver itself maybe having flipped connectors, I thought the same but suspect I would be more likely to make a mistake than PRV ;) I'll test out my drivers with a AA tonight or tomorrow and report back. This might be a stupid question, but what if I also hook the driver up to an assembled XO board, and apply DC via a 1.5V AA battery to the XO inputs? I don't want to damage my XO components, but I would like to validate the board functionally too. I imagine it's safe on the XO components but just want to make sure.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
My two PRV drivers seem to be correctly marked on the connectors. Trying to test through the XO, the filter seems to enact faster than my eyes can perceive any driver movement. If I connect a function generator to the inputs of the XO, and apply a 1kHz at 1V signal, would that work?

Do we know if bkhatton tested his drivers as well?

So I did some more testing last night. I had the same experience. When I tested through the crossover, the woofer array pushes air out of the slot on positive to positive. But I couldn't see any movement on the PRV. I also tried an 18650 battery, but nothing. I did test just the PRVs on their own and they are marked correctly.

I also did some A/B comparison between only PRVs reverse polarity and only tweeters reverse polarity. Reversing polarity on the mid sounds the best, at least to my ears.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Since the PRV had a 470Hz high pass filter it may be hard to see the pulse with a 1.5v battery. Use a microphone set on tweeter axis at 0.5m and use REW software to do a frequency sweep at about 2vrms. It will show you the phase and if it’s flipped. But in the end, you ear may prefer a certain phase and you should do what sounds best.

Tweeter is negative phase.

Mid and woofer anrray are both positive phase.

XRK971,
In some of your renderings showing proposed finishes on the "XSD" speaker, you commented that a "piano" finish would be attractive. I just found such a reference for the DIYA crowd under the Design & Build tab / Construction Tips subtab. Here is the essence of that post: "A decent paint finish is possible by hobbyists. Multiple coats of Zinsser Bin sprayed outdoors, sanding between coats. Apply enough coats until the primer is ultra smooth.. Apply General finishes enduro black poly or tinted Sherwin Williams pro classic.. Oh, tint the Zinsser bin with transtint dye to be close to the finish colour.. Practice the entire regime a small project."

Jim Clar