Zaph SR71 as a live ukulele amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all! Not sure if this is the right forum and this is sort of a weird question, but i'll give it a shot anyways. So i play ukulele, and i'm looking to build an amp for an acoustic-electric I have. I figured, a hi-fi speaker would fit the bill since most nice acoustic amps seem to be just nice channel strips mated to a nice PA type speaker. Especially since the uke doesn't get too low, I figured a nice 2-way speaker would work well.

So, that being said. How do you guys think the SR71 would fair? I'm wondering just how loud one of these can get (powered by a 120W amp). It wouldn't need to get super loud since in very loud situations the ukulele would just go into a real PA. I'm just looking to get the same sort of output as say another 100W acoustic amp (like a Fishman Loudbox 100). But i'm wondering if this speaker could handle running at high volume most of the time without the speaker breaking up.

thoughts? Suggestions? Rotten Tomatoes? I'm i crazy?

I am not familiar with the sound of live ukuleles. But I would expect the Scanspeak drivers reproduce the sound of string instruments better. I built a two way like the ZD5, but you would want a bit more sensitivity. Zaph's ZRT project has a 2-way sealed version that would be better for you. While the drivers are more expensive, you would only need one of each.

The Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris might work nicely. It's a 15" woofer with a coaxial horn tweeter. 95 dB or so efficient, rated for 150 W. I believe that they have been used for acoustic guitar amplification, so a uke should be no problem.

The Hawthornes are meant for open baffle applications, so the cabinet can be quite small and easy to transport. I built some minimalist baffles for my pair, and gave them to my son for his dorm room:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They could easily be mounted to tripod stands for PA duty.

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.