10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

i have tried to put a large value inductor in parallel to 8424 and it seems to make the highest frequencies more clear. I can't confirm now cause i didn't have the tie m to A/B, so tou would have to try by yourself. but this effect would not be unusual of that arrangement, and phase seems not affected much in theory, i think. also, a smallish inductor in series with woofer (for a LCL) seems to enhance the bass driver. again at your own risk! :)

Last edited:
i wound my own around a antek 100 VA mains transformer, around 40 turns. i have yet to test it in a circuit to know inductance, but from the ear, it seems rather large because at 100 HZ i can barely hear any difference in SPL with or without, with rs225 disconnected. it seems to cut only the lowest frequencies and just a little, but it makes an audible difference overall. Percussions sound more like «tingggg» than «tshhhh». Of course depending on many factors you can hear the difference or not. yes sort of a 2nd order, nothing fancy, but sometimes the little details count.... i will try to get back with value

Last edited:
Hmm... I don’t know about this. 40 turns around a large ferrite toroid is going to be many, many mH. I would guess close to 100mH. Putting 100mH in parallel with the mid tweeter after the capacitor would basically shunt all low frequencies to ground. It would make the shape of filter less shallow.

i made it large enough in hope it would not have any side effect like phase change except removing the lowest frequencies, but to be able to hear a difference, which i am able to notice, even below 1 watt of power. 100mH seems high but not impossible. i will measure hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

in my experience with other 3 inch fullranges played without bass or tweeter assist, with a genuine 2nd order filter, i can always hear more details and the highs especially are better rendered, subjectively. i suspect at least some people would prefer a 1,5-ish or even fully 2nd order filter for that speaker. the 10F showed me it can have nice highs , in any case...

I also tried a 0,4 mH in series ,after the 4.7uF, with rs225 and the whole spectrum it plays has more definition, so much that i can't remove it anymore! i would say that the bass definition is now in the same category as my axiom m3v2 speaker. In xsim it doesn't seems to affect phase as much as the 4.7uF. it is easier on the ears like that also. Now i don't know where to get the 10F Xsim file....

Last edited:
i measured roughly 44mH for the inductor in parallel with 10F.

not sure how low inductance i could still go without experiencing downsides like phase rotation, but the it's definitlty more effortless and detailed with the inductor. With 30 turns instead of 40, it's even more evident. there is also the question of core saturation i have not taken into account and may have negative effect and amplifier loading at low frequency.

Last edited:
FRD and ZMA...not sure what the XO file would serve because there a rea few schematics available

i have not measured anything yet. I took what i found around...probably infinite baffle as fs and it's magnitude is near spec sheet.

Much sadly, i have not achieved this level of sophistication so to do that all by myself, but would like to gain abilities in that domain. i would need a small course, i presume...

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Woofers landed with 24 hours of ordering....good old Amazon Prime. I'm not their biggest fan but it has its uses and they did come via the UK importer.

So i just threw them at the enclosure i have in mind and offered up the W3-871. I shall make some kind of 'super' baffle to deal with the cutouts and flush cuts. Pity to lose this nice black finish though!

Interesting how the RS225-8 seem quite benign to the enclosure volume whilst simming in winisd..to a degree obviously. The response from 23 litres down to 17 litres doesn't change all too much. The Q value also remains sensible.

I know i am deviating from XRKs original beautiful design but I do have my constraints so we shall see how my bastardised version develops!

Attachments

• 20200926_155808.jpg
    20200926_155808.jpg
    750 KB · Views: 545
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It turns out that a Tang Band W3-1878 is almost a drop-in swap, size wise relative to the ScanSpeak 10F. On paper, it’s about 1dB more sensitive. Vunce is trying it out now so we will have to wait for a report on how well it may or may not integrate with the stock XO.

Attachments

• 09CF5062-B26A-47E3-B221-F063E933A567.jpeg
    09CF5062-B26A-47E3-B221-F063E933A567.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 417
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I think I may try my 3fe22 first. I was bowled over by them when I built my very first super simple diy FR speaker and so it makes sense. I have 3fe22 and W3-871 here to try so its a no brainer for me! I would like some PS95-8 though from as aesthetic point of view.

I have the crossover components now and I am busy trying to sort baffles etc.

Attachments

• 20201011_112543.jpg
    20201011_112543.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 401