16 Watt small Amplifier with Exicon output and TMC

Just a quick analysis of mine just by gleaning over the schematic, so it may be incorrect, but here it goes.. At power up c4 is discharged which forces ltp u4 to become virtually grounded, its emitter voltage will not stand much above ground and therefore could initially cause the ccs to be exposed to near full rails voltage, and if the chosen transistor in the CC's can't withstand the voltage seen over it there is a risk it could break down. To some degree u3 and c1 could potentially cause a similar problem, but would depend on the pulldown current through current mirror u7 which depends on u8 biasing current.
Solution is to choose a ccs transistor that can withstand on its own the required voltage, or cascode it with a transistor that can handle it, or put a resistor in series with ccs to drop down the voltage, say 10-15 volts.
10v / 5.5mA is about 1,8k ohm.
For simplicity and philosophy of this amplifier I think I would go with the series resistor. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
More important might be what's missing. Overload behavior / proper clipping, how the operating point is reached (audible effects), behavior with capacitive loads, temperature stability. The issue with jfet Vds(max) could have been avoided by using RF types (like BF245,246, 247): they're designed with resonant LC in the drain so can handle the "extra" AC. With this in mind, the next issue is to verify that the sim provides data in accordance with the manufacturer's specs. I always verify Hfe of the bjts is in accordance with what I read from actual measurement of the device. Measuring every component that enters a circuit under construction has been a guarantee that it behaves as in the sim.

I have made some changes.
Mainly the current sources.

BC560 Push Pull TMC 07.jpg

Joined 2018
Paid Member
For input and output C to be included in the NFB loop, the amp has to be changed to inverting. So input would be at C4 and C2 grounded. Values would have to be adapted but would also lower distortion because the "varactor effect" is much smaller in a virtual earth amp.

Hello Aridace,

I was just thinking about the output capacitor. Lineup would only have to add one resistor from the output capacitor to the junction of R9 and C4 and swap around R9 and C4 to make a feedback loop around the output c.

Kind regards,
Xa4

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Yes, the change is simple. Another improvement would be to split R9 into 2 Rs and adding a C from the common node to ground. That increases the gain in a way that less compensation is required, improving the slew rate while keeping the overal frequency response flat. The use of mosfets allows inclusion in the compensation network without causing instability at overload so also decreases distortion.

Reactions: 1 users

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
before diving into a PCB attempt I did a LTspice simulation.
I swapped KSA1381 and KSC3503 for BD140C and 139C, because 80 V Vceo should be enough.
with C6 = 100 p I get a ~10 MHz oscillation:

lineup_C6_100p.png

increasing C6 to 220 p removes the oscillation:

lineup_C6_220p.png

edit - here is a comparison graph:

lineup_C6_comparison.png

attached is the LTspice circuit with necessary models in the ZIP. just in case anyone wants to test it or if my circuit needs to be corrected!
latefets by IanH & keantoken, BC/BDs by cordell.

Attachments

• lineup16W_220p.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: