2-way speaker with an 8 inch?? Your input are more than welcome..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

First of I can say that I’m a noob. Still I would like to build a 2 way speaker with a 7’’ or 8’’ from the list under. My first criteria, unfortunately, is the budget, but I would like to have a little more bass then a 6 ½’’. That’s why I choose an 8 inch(vented system). I do not need 120dB, but listen to rock, jazz, r&b, even metal sometime and like to crank it sometime. Floor standing
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/dayton/RS225S-8.pdf
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/dayton/RS225-8.pdf
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/dayton/RS225-4.pdf
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/hivi/m8a.pdf
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/fountek/fw168.pdf
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/silver/w20rc3808.pdf
http://www.solen.ca/pdf/vifa/pl18wo0904.pdf

I would like to keep the crossover simple, of course.
Have a good radiation profile.
The living room is about 15’ per 15’.
Don’t know which tweeter to use. Probably a ring tweeter from Vifa.
Bottom line, 50 to 60$ for the woofer, 30 to 40$ for the tweeter.
Thank you against.

How about an AUDAX HM210C0? See Madisound Speaker Components | Loudspeaker drivers and speaker parts for loudspeaker builders. Use a good tweeter that can be crossed over at 2K or less to avoid beaming.

I have my first DIY speaker system that uses a HM210G0 (paper cone) and a SEAS 25TAC/D chambered tweeter that is XO @ 1800, second order passive. It rocks! Ported box and lots of good low bass. The SEAS tweeter is/was cheap and could handle the low XO frequency. Both drivers are no longer available since this was designed/built 5 years ago. Any way, my goal was for more bass than a JBL 6.5 2-way I usually used. Mission accomplished with the Audax. Nice drivers but no longer cheap. Mine cost 56.00 back then. Audax has almost left the DIY scene with only a few drivers available.
Be sure to add BSC (baffle step correction) to your crossover if you plan to use your speaker NOT against the wall. I didn't do it and I wish sometimes I had added it so I could place them a bit away from the wall.

Sadly the Audax does not meet your cost goal.

Last edited:
How about an AUDAX HM210C0? See Madisound Speaker Components | Loudspeaker drivers and speaker parts for loudspeaker builders. Use a good tweeter that can be crossed over at 2K or less to avoid beaming.

I have my first DIY speaker system that uses a HM210G0 (paper cone) and a SEAS 25TAC/D chambered tweeter that is XO @ 1800, second order passive. It rocks! Ported box and lots of good low bass. The SEAS tweeter is/was cheap and could handle the low XO frequency. Both drivers are no longer available since this was designed/built 5 years ago. Any way, my goal was for more bass than a JBL 6.5 2-way I usually used. Mission accomplished with the Audax. Nice drivers but no longer cheap. Mine cost 56.00 back then. Audax has almost left the DIY scene with only a few drivers available.
Be sure to add BSC (baffle step correction) to your crossover if you plan to use your speaker NOT against the wall. I didn't do it and I wish sometimes I had added it so I could place them a bit away from the wall.

Sadly the Audax does not meet your cost goal.

The Audax is a killer in spec but kill my wallet to. Do you have some suggestion regarding the woofer I post earlier?

Peerless 830869 from Part Express $63.22
Fountek is OK....but small.
Avoid metal cones if possible. I like paper.
RS225S-8 is OK if you use a deep slope XO to avoid the crap above 2K.
The rest...pass
Consider going to electronic XO and 4 power amps if your budget can stand it.
Go to Zaph|Audio He does a good job of evaluating 6.5-7 and 8 in. drivers.
Consider one of his designs too. Some can be built rather cheaply and many have been successfully built. Ask around on this forum for opinions.
Have you priced out what good components for crossovers cost? Air core inductors and quality caps are not cheap. They can cost as much as a good driver.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
silver flute w20rc3808
...I would like to keep the crossover simple, of course.
Have a good radiation profile.
The living room is about 15’ per 15’.
Don’t know which tweeter to use.

Let me suggest something a bit different. I like the Silver Flute. So do Ed Schilling and Steve Deckert. It is fairly efficient so mating it with a mid-tweeter leaves not a whole lot of choice. The #1 candidate is a nice piece thou.

Mate the Silver Flute with the Fostex FE83En at about the baffle step frequency. At these frequecies a simple 1st order series XO will likely do the job.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From Madisound just under $70 a side, which is less than budget, but XO parts are going to be pricier.

Due to the low XO, with reasonable close placement the drivers will effectively be coincident, and give a very good radiation profile.

dave

Peerless 830869 from Part Express $63.22
Fountek is OK....but small.
Avoid metal cones if possible. I like paper.
RS225S-8 is OK if you use a deep slope XO to avoid the crap above 2K.
The rest...pass
Consider going to electronic XO and 4 power amps if your budget can stand it.
Go to Zaph|Audio He does a good job of evaluating 6.5-7 and 8 in. drivers.
Consider one of his designs too. Some can be built rather cheaply and many have been successfully built. Ask around on this forum for opinions.
Have you priced out what good components for crossovers cost? Air core inductors and quality caps are not cheap. They can cost as much as a good driver.

What about this SB driver.

http://www.solen.ca/pdf/sb/sb17nrxc358.pdf

With this tweeter

http://www.solen.ca/pdf/sb/sb29rdcc0004.pdf

Cut around 2k.

After a talk with Christian from Solen he told me that this speaker had a really good value.
Low distortion
Deep bass
Etc.

What is your feeling?

Let me suggest something a bit different. I like the Silver Flute. So do Ed Schilling and Steve Deckard. It is fairly efficient so mating it with a mid-tweeter leaves not a whole lot of choice. The #1 candidate is a nice piece thou.

Mate the Silver Flute with the Fostex FE83En at about the baffle step frequency. At these frequecies a simple 1st order series XO will likely do the job.

From Madisound just under $70 a side, which is less than budget, but XO parts are going to be pricier.

Due to the low XO, with reasonable close placement the drivers will effectively be coincident, and give a very good radiation profile.

dave

I have some doubt about this Silver Flute driver. It seem to perfect to be real. After a talk with Christian from Solen(against) he told me these wear not the best machine out there. Of coarse for the price it is not to bad but the spec does not reflect the reality.

If you want to maintain consistent directivity through the crossover the tweeter needs to be in a horn, or at least a fairly significant waveguide. At which point there's no real need to restrict the woofer to eight inches. If you don't use a compression driver or such you'll have to resort to steep slopes and EQ to manage cone breakup on the eight---trivial to implement with a DSP (I used LR6 with a 20dB notch on an eight crossed at 1.7kHz)---but it'll sound better if you don't push the drivers. It's counterintuitive but triamping a three way with a digital crossover's actually easier than doing a decent two way passive cross.

I'm not the right person to comment on compression drivers. SB Acoustics makes good stuff but for tweeters and mids I'd recommend the BG Neo3 and Neo10, respectively (though the latter may be out of the budget---if so, the SB17 mentioned previously is a good choice). Peerless and Scanspeak Discovery are generally cost effective as well and the equalization capabilities of a digital crossover make pro drivers attractive in the larger sizes---Selenium's a good starting point there.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have some doubt about this Silver Flute driver. It seem to perfect to be real. After a talk with Christian from Solen(against) he told me these wear not the best machine out there. Of coarse for the price it is not to bad but the spec does not reflect the reality.

The concept will work with any woofer. A less efficient one would give you more choice of mid-tweeters.

dave

..I would like to have a little more bass then a 6 ½’’. That’s why I choose an 8 inch(vented system). I do not need 120dB, but listen to rock, jazz, r&b, even metal sometime and like to crank it sometime.

Usher 8945, but you could settle for -
Seas ER18 with a little less bass extension
SB17 with less power handling (low enough to perhaps not allow you to "crank it").
DA175 with less power handling and sensitivity (in my opinon not suited for a 2-way due to low sensitivity).
RS180 with lots of crossover parts (hellish breakup) and low sensitivity.

Last edited:
I would like to have a little more bass then a 6 ½’’. That’s why I choose an 8 inch(vented system).

I am getting great bass with my SEAS ER18RNX. It requires some aggressive contouring though. My room is about 20ft x 20ft with speakers 3ft from back wall.

I would like to keep the crossover simple, of course.

That's tough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.