250 hcca grounded out problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's very strange. There's no continuity between B+ and the secondary windings (you stated that they read OL to the B+). It blows fuses with them in the circuit (only B+ ang ground connected) but not with them desoldered (b+ and ground connected, with or without remote connected). Is this correct?

Have you replaced all of the power supply FETs or only one?

If you replaced only one, remove that one. Desolder the pads and confirm that there is no 0 ohm continuity between the adjacent pads. Does it still blow the fuse with only B+ and ground connected (secondary windings soldered in, extra potentiometer and resistor out of amp)?

Perry,

It blows a fuse w/ or w/o the remote on. With the secondary soldered in only.

I only replaced the bad FET. After I replaced that the readings are exactly the same on all the FETs on he bad and the good amps.

If you want me to take that FET out I will and then try to power it up with out it. I really don't think its that because now all the readings are the same. I feel it is something else but I really not good at this.

There was so much continuity between B+ and ground that it shorted out a blue top Otima battery with over 700 cranking amps and then shorted out my MBR70 (Orion batery isolator) and then discharged 3 1/2 far. caps.

Thanks,

Sean

The reading from leg 2-3 will vary. As long as it's not reading in the thousands of ohms (or lower) and it's OL from leg 1 to the other legs, this type of FET is generally OK. That said... I wouldn't reinstall the one that you pulled out.

Did you do anything other than pulling out that FET between the time it was blowing fuses with only B+ and ground connected and now?

Perry,

I’m total LOST. Ok so I did everything like you said and powered up the amp and it work great!. I guess it was a solder bridge because after I solder the 3205 back everything worked fine.

Then I assembled the amp, put the bottom and side plates back together. Applied power and ground and then the 2 30 amp fuses blew on the side of the amp. Check for continuity between B+ and ground and got 0.6 ohms. Then I took the amp apart again and checked. I am right back to where I started from. That 3205 is bad now and maybe more. I really don’t have a clue why this happened. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.