4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Bed and Breakfast

EDDIEMUNSTER said:
I found a bed a breakfast that is only a few minutes from your house. We booked the cheapest rooms but others are available if anyone is interested. It looks quite nice.

That is the one that both Tim & Ali, and Barry have stayed at. As the crow flys it is just on the other side of the mountain (a couple km)... the drive is a bit more circuitous 910-15 min depending on lights & traffic and how fast you take Millstream)

dave

I agree that Bed and Breakfast prices are a little high. However, this is reasonable compared to some and hotel prices are brutal. There are few under $100.00 especially during high season. Fortunately, we are only spending 3 nights in B&B's and the rest at a friends place in Vancouver. We are looking at buying a motorcycle trailer in the future for the little Toyoto Echo. Call me a wimp but I can't can never get a good nights sleep on an air mattress in a tent.

Cheers,

Doug

I spend a great deal of time sleeping on the sofa!. :D
I wonder how many sofa cushions Dave has?
Looks like its my Son and I are tentatively going. He will pull himself away from World of Warcraft for a couple days.

I need to try to work some extra hours to pay for the fuel and food and baring a disaster that happens a lot around here I hope to seeing some new faces..

I take it that I can pitch a tent and find somewhere nearby for a shower, might be hanging out for a couple days if I do end up going, if thats all right Dave.

thanks.
Gex

Geek said:
Hi Doug,

I hear you, neither can I. But I slept as good as home when I switched to Dave's sofa cushions :D

Geek,
I slept great on that air mattress, I never did thank you for letting me use it (yes, I know that it was Dave's). I actually went and bought one afterwards. It was a combination of the sweet sounds of music, clean air and a clear conscience (thank God for my failing memory :^)

This year I think that I'll do the mattress again and let Kevin Haskins sleep on the rocky ground. After all, he's in his 30's and I don't want him turning over and putting his arm around me in his sleep:D
I think that his wife would agree that this is a good idea.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Gex,
You're from Red Deer?
Isn't that where they forced all the Scandinavians to live? Down here in the Seattle area we have a Norwegian "Get-toe" called Ballard, next to the Fisherman's Wharf. Good idea to keep them cooped up, and be ever mindful that they sometimes attempt to escape and breed with decent people.

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
doorman said:
Haven't driven the Finlayson Arm Rd. to Sidney in yrs. Is it paved all the way?

You talking about Malahat> Finlayson Arm> Millstream> Millstream Lake>Durrance lake Road? The langford side of Finlayson Arm is just tarmac (ie Goldstream Park to my place), the rest is highway grade... the last bit before Wallace Drive fairly narrow thou.

dave

What are you hoping people bring?

The only DIY I've delved into is speakers, but I doubt I have anything in the way of innovative. I hope to have an OB w/ RatShack 40-1271 completed by then. I have a bipolar design from last year.

I'm within driving distance (40 minutes to the ferry on the mainland side), so if I bring speakers, I'd transport them myself. My wife and I used to make the trek every year or so, but haven't in the last couple of years (that ferry ride is expensive!).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: What are you hoping people bring?

3-LockBox said:
The only DIY I've delved into is speakers, but I doubt I have anything in the way of innovative. I hope to have an OB w/ RatShack 40-1271 completed by then. I have a bipolar design from last year.

The 1st event was mostly speakers, but as the event has matured the kind of gear has rounded out. Frugal-phile(tm) builds are always appreciated. There is a specific listening spot where we set up the OBs... The bipoles are 1354s? I'd REALLY like to hear those.

[(that ferry ride is expensive!).

Yes. ~$100 for a round trip if you bring your car. Kinda hard to walk on with big speakers thou.

dave

I believe I will be able to attend this year. I'll bring a DIY Contrabass or two, with DCX2496, a Dolby Digital decoder, and a power amp to shake things up a bit.

There's some audio strays I need to find new homes for, which I will briefly list here (apologies if this is inappropriate, but I'm not eager to mail any of these): Thorens TD-165, Kenwood KD-500 (doesn't lock speed, no arm), Dynaco graphic equalizer, Fisher mono tube tuner, No. 19 transceiver (Korean war vintage?), Heath ham receiver (tube), one 30 watt 12" Akai woofer (white cone), Altec 15" that needs reconing, pair Emilar 2" drivers, no diaphragms, pair of heavy 15" scoop bins without drivers, HP distortion analyzer (tube), lighting controller/chaser, Traynor Bassmaster YBA-1 amp with matching cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.