• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N1, 6N2, 6N11 (6DJ8) in pre?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Example of filter caps...

Attachments

• 20220122_091415.jpg
    20220122_091415.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 125
Hi Adason,

Interesting post. I'm also using a SRPP preamp that I run into by accident. I was very pleasantly surprised by it's performance.
I have read a thorough research by an expert on SRPP. He says, when you use a cathode bypass c it doesn't act like a SRPP anymore. Did you try it without the bypass c?
And I have to agree with others: Philips E188CC is one of the best.

Dick

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Adason,

Interesting post. I'm also using a SRPP preamp that I run into by accident. I was very pleasantly surprised by it's performance.
I have read a thorough research by an expert on SRPP. He says, when you use a cathode bypass c it doesn't act like a SRPP anymore. Did you try it without the bypass c?
And I have to agree with others: Philips E188CC is one of the best.

Dick
One condition for the SRPP to work optimally is that both cathode impedances are equal. So you can bypass them, but then bypass both!

Jan

SRPP topology is also my favourite. Here is my construction (phono 3 tubes, line 1 tube):

SRPP preamplifier

I use E88CC or 6N23P, without cathode bypass. Power supply uses CRCRC filtering. I struggled a lot with stray hum shielding. Eventually I used permalloy sheet here and there, shielded signal cables, and ground loop breaker. Shield caps on the tubes were of no use, not necessary either.

6N1 is not a 6DJ8. Lower gm, higher rp, works at higher voltages. (High impedance) The Russian version is 6N1P. That's a fine tube, but it's definitely not a 6DJ8 equivalent.

6N2 is definitely nothing like a 6DJ8. It's basically a 12AX7 with a 6V heater. The Russian version is 6N2P.

6N11? What the heck is that? Maybe that's the Chinese version of 6922/E88CC.

6N23P is essentially the Russian version of 6DJ8 or ECC88. 6N23P-EV is similar to 6922 or E88CC.

From audiotubes.com:

View attachment 1004638

Wait... 6N1P is electrically equivalent to ECC40??
--

Wonder if the 6n23P is not in fact a E88CC/6922.
The 6n23P-EV is the low noise version of the 6NP23P. So is a 6NP23-EV not an ECC88 in spite what is marked in that sheet ?
The EV is superior to the non EV, no ?

SRPP topology is also my favourite. Here is my construction (phono 3 tubes, line 1 tube):

SRPP preamplifier

I use E88CC or 6N23P, without cathode bypass. Power supply uses CRCRC filtering. I struggled a lot with stray hum shielding. Eventually I used permalloy sheet here and there, shielded signal cables, and ground loop breaker. Shield caps on the tubes were of no use, not necessary either.
Hi, overlooked your reply.
Saw your pictures. That's some impressive building.
How do you come to 3 tubes for the phono? Do you have a schedule?
My preamp doesn't have a psu as extended as yours but it's completely silent.

Here is a Cascode Preamp I built circa 1956. Ran it for a few years with a GE VR phono pickup.
Still here but on the shelf

Attachments

• Cascode_Preamp_schematic.jpg
    Cascode_Preamp_schematic.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Cascode Preamp Front 10W E.jpg
    Cascode Preamp Front 10W E.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Cascode Preamp Rear 10W E.jpg
    Cascode Preamp Rear 10W E.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 77
  • Cascode Preamp Bottom.jpg