A 3 way design study

Crossover updated :D
View attachment 1066919

View attachment 1066920
Probably, i think i will get a bit more energy and reduce cancellation and nulls around crossover in the vertical response, if i make this entire configuration 2.5 way and roll off one woofer earlier around 350Hz. The 2 woofer responses itself causes some lobing around crossover in vertical direction.

The two woofers themselves are causing some lobing around 1kHz
Fluid had shown something similar to this long back in his sims for twin woofer configuration as shown below if i understood it correctly
View attachment 1066928
Looks sweet. Congrats!

Is there a GD graph?

Reactions: 1 user
Looks sweet. Congrats!

Is there a GD graph?
Current crossover:
2wayhorn_fullpolar4 XO-schema-1.png

System response:
2wayhorn_fullpolar4 Six-pack.png

Group delay plots from above along with the phase plots:
2wayhorn_fullpolar4 GD+Phase.png

Please ignore those driver phase legends. The first two labels in the legend list are the relevant ones. :)

Do you want to post the Vituixcad project? It would be interesting to look at.
@fluid:
Yes I want to post the project here... :)
But if I post it, will it also include the measurement files of individual drivers?
Or is there a way in which I can put everything in one zip file sort of thing so that anyone who wants to use it can have access to full data?

If you do file archive project it should zip everything up.
Hi fluid,

There is some issue with uploading the archived version of project here. It was 14MB in size.
My CD+horn (also with series 150uF cap) measurement files appear too large. 1.MB size per angle.
So I have uploaded the entire thing here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dAnvo1-HX_YavCBjIWoBCNfFH1pKkr21?usp=sharing
Please let me know if you are able to access it and download it.

Thanks
Vineeth

@fluid 's crossover is amazing..... :D:D
I just wish you could hear this system live fluid.. It sounds awesome... :)
So happy with the sound.. Thank you :)

Major difference I felt from previous crossover I had is some sort of new found energy/punch in male vocals. Sort of 3D soundstage and amazing ambient sounds which were not prominently heard earlier. All this at even low volumes. I don't listen at very high volumes, in general but just enough to hear some bass come through.. :)
I tried to capture the sound via my mobile phone's camera. But it sounds terrible, echoey and nowhere close to the real thing.. :(
Anyway, this was the best I could do regarding capturing a video of the system playing:
I chose this piece of music because it has a lot of instruments, ambient sounds etc playing in the background of the vocals at different times. All the train's ,vehicles, and rain sounds etc in the video is from the speakers :D

What is the crossover design philosophy used here? Flat/gently sloping down on axis + similar listening window, smooth transitions in power response and directivity, and phase alignment at crossover?

PS: The language used in the lyrics of the video (Malayalam) might seem like some alien language/gibberish but it is my native language.. :D

Thanks
Vineeth

Last edited:
In between, Each speaker cabinet now sits on 4 pieces of 0.25inch thick sorbothane feet/pads.
I had toed in the speakers roughly 45ish degrees, spaced them leaving about 1.8 metre space in between them at the closest point.
I need to now use neutrik speakon 4 pole connectors per box for the woofers and replace the current wiring hack that I have done :D

@fluid 's crossover is amazing..... :D:D
I just wish you could hear this system live fluid.. It sounds awesome... :)
So happy with the sound.. Thank you :)
Great, glad it sounds good.
What is the crossover design philosophy used here? Flat/gently sloping down on axis + similar listening window, smooth transitions in power response and directivity, and phase alignment at crossover?
Standard LR4 with delay on the woofers to align phase at the crossover. Trying to keep to accurate symmetric acoustic crossover slopes, a gentle overall slope down of about -0.2dB/oct.

The drivers are quite awkward and do not really want to work together other than with a fairly steep crossover around 1K. Quasi LR3 might work too but the break up of the woofer is a factor.

ERDI is smooth and gently rising so the early window response should be OK. Hard to avoid a directivity mismatch without going to some kind of phase blend. The DI bump with power dip is pretty harmless perceptually and doesn't affect the in room or ER too much.

I don't know what to make of the 250Hz far off axis response dip, whether it is real or a measurement artefact.

The waveguide has a smooth but falling listening window so it's not possible to have flat on axis and listening window at the same time so I chose the downslope rather than have the on axis tilted up. That would be something to experiment with to gauge the effect.

The CD breakup is obvious and high Q on axis but less so off so I left it alone.

• Thank You
Experimental System - 2 in the works :)

I had ordered a pair of Sica C 1.5CP 5.5 inch coaxial mid-tweeter drivers long back. I think I will be getting the drivers in a few weeks.. I plan to use them in a true 3 way configuration with my existing Satori WO24P-8 woofer box.
Now I am thinking about enclosures shapes for the coaxial driver.. :D

The first thoughts that i had was spherical enclosure which will be kept on top of the current woofer box and crossed over to the woofers somewhere above 300 Hz.. But seeing my 3D printer being able to print out good shapes I am thinking about 3D printing a teardrop-shaped enclosure for the driver. :D

To test my 3D printer's ability, I designed the enclosure I had in mind using fusion 360 and printed a prototype enclosure in PLA material with 20% gyroid infill (in 2 pieces which are threaded and can be joined). This is 30% scaled version of the actual enclosure size
Here is how it looks like at the moment:
IMG_20220708_154151.jpg

IMG_20220708_153045.jpg

IMG_20220708_153115.jpg

IMG_20220708_153017.jpg

The thought behind this enclosure shape was low diffraction and directivity control to the extent possible (though i don't know the exact amounts of it). I am hoping that having the coaxial driver with the mid acting as a waveguide for the tweeter may also help with some lessening of diffraction to some extent.
:)

Please let me know your thoughts about this.

Thanks
Vineeth

Attachments

• IMG_20220708_152951.jpg
    IMG_20220708_152951.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
I think Augerpro talk about a roundover starting just at the outer edge of your driver, rather than the 'sharp' corner they have right now.
That said i wonder if there would be any benefits as if the outer 'ring' of the driver equal the outer edge of your tear shaped enclosure you are in a situation where there is virtually minimal to no difraction anyway... ( the waveguide of your coax should overpower any present diffraction).
Situation is not really different than the 'waveguide with minimal baffle' ( but with a roundover all around your coax) or the theorical 'tweeter with minimal baffle' approach depicted here:
https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/kantendiffraktion-sekundaerschallquellen-treiberanordnun/

At which freq do you plan toxover to the coax?

• Thank You
@augerpro:
My current enclosure front is looking like this:
1657300149740.png

In the final enclosure, I want the driver recessed into the face of the enclosure with the a 6mm ish roundover/chamfer starting where driver frame ends. Inspiration is fluid's sims from the past for wesayso's line array enclosure build.. :) Though there the chamfer ended into a flat baffle with a rounded face.
This roundover/chamfer is supposed to merge into the enclosure body here in my case.
Are you saying that the blue colored circled part I have marked in above pic is too abrupt a transition and it is better to have a smoother bigger rounded transition there?
Something like this?
1657300574270.png