A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Playing music!! Very nice sounding amp. Worth the investment and more. Yes, it's just "honeymoon period" but my first impression after playing one CD album is that the amp sounds excellent!

IMG_1587.jpg

Shown with a Type 76 preamp. I also have Type 26, 01A, and Supratek Chenin (I read from the archives that someone was using the same pre and likes the combo) to try

IMG_1588.jpg

and SET (45, 2A3, and 300B)amps to play with. I am going to be busy!

Thank you very much for those who helped me (6L6,Dneu2011, mcandmar, Dennis Hui, Eric, vdi_nenna, margol, wdavis009, cal3713, and ggetzoff) from answering my inquiries. Starting this project, 6L6's write up made made me confident that I can finish the amp.
Happy listening!
Abe

Last edited:
I have a dual-psu in external chassis. You can use a four-lead cable with Neutrik connectors, +/-/0/chassis ground. I use shielded 3x2.5mm and extra ground to chassis. PSU as a general Pass. 0 to PSU ground and chassis ground to PSU ground star. In amp chassis you can boost with caps between rails and ground with short cables. ZM suggested motor runs 65uF or more. If I may add F4 is fantastic with or without external PSU. An external PSU makes me try more amps at less cost.

I also fully support this. My signal quality went up, but I agree that it is not necessary. That said, I do think full mono is a real, very substantial upgrade and it's just hard to fit that all in one case. Those boards both pulling on the same power supply is certainly audible on my system. As I've posted before, I have dual mono blocks with sissy SIT boards on one side and f4 boards on the others. When a/b ing the two amps I had both attached to the same ps and would just short the input of the unused board and switch my speaker cables from side to side. I just left the boards like that for a while after settling on the f4s and I could hear the effect of even having that one board idling while shorted. When I finally got around to disconnecting it from the power supply I got a clear increase in quality.

Attachments

• 20200716_151812.jpg
    20200716_151812.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 237
Enjoy! Super sounding amplifier. I am currently collecting parts to build a 01A preamp to drive mine, would be interested to know more about yours?

Nothing special on my 01A preamp build but it sounds nice. I prefer the Type 26 on some days.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For B+, I use Hammond 370 CAX pt, AZ1 rectifier, to Salas shunt reg (190 Vdc) regulated to150Vdc (34mA setting). For the filament bias, 12 vct trafo per filament reg, Rod Coleman's filament supply and CRC supply boards (latest), but use 2016 gyrator boards from Ale (planning to replace with a newer version).
01A tubes are microphonic. I find it difficult to find a quiet pair (they are almost a century old?). Pay attention on how you mount the tubes.
Abe

Playing music!! Very nice sounding amp. Worth the investment and more. Yes, it's just "honeymoon period" but my first impression after playing one CD album is that the amp sounds excellent!

Shown with a Type 76 preamp. I also have Type 26, 01A, and Supratek Chenin (I read from the archives that someone was using the same pre and likes the combo) to try

and SET (45, 2A3, and 300B)amps to play with. I am going to be busy!

Thank you very much for those who helped me (6L6,Dneu2011, mcandmar, Dennis Hui, Eric, vdi_nenna, margol, wdavis009, cal3713, and ggetzoff) from answering my inquiries. Starting this project, 6L6's write up made made me confident that I can finish the amp.
Happy listening!
Abe

Congrats! The system looks amazing. Please do post about your different preamp pairings. I'd love to hear more and almost bought one of the suprateks.

Nothing special on my 01A preamp build but it sounds nice. I prefer the Type 26 on some days.

For B+, I use Hammond 370 CAX pt, AZ1 rectifier, to Salas shunt reg (190 Vdc) regulated to150Vdc (34mA setting). For the filament bias, 12 vct trafo per filament reg, Rod Coleman's filament supply and CRC supply boards (latest), but use 2016 gyrator boards from Ale (planning to replace with a newer version).
01A tubes are microphonic. I find it difficult to find a quiet pair (they are almost a century old?). Pay attention on how you mount the tubes.
Abe

Abe,

Nice projects. I'm going to try the microphonic 4P1L with the Salas regs and the Colemans. Why? Because I'm stupid and I like challenges :D

Abe

Funny, i am following the same recipe with Salas Regulators feeding Ales Gyrator plate loads, and Rod Coleman Filament regulators.

Noted with the tube mounting. I am currently using a 4P1L preamp which everyone says are really micro-phonic, but i have never had an issue with them. Will be interesting to see how the 01A performs next to it :)