A question about Rod Elliots Project #48

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just for fun I put this into the partially working program and I get this if I put 4 of them into the same size box as the 18 at 70Watts to a single woofer but I could probably push these to 7mmX-Max rather than the 4mm I input
1 Watt gives ~ 86dB at 60Hz so lots of manipulation needed
If I increase X-Max to 10mm [ extreme IMO] and add 6dB of boost at 30 with a "Q" of 0.5 I get the second graph at 70 watts. Would most people find this acceptable? Do I get +3dB for wiring the 4 in series parallel too?

Attachments

• Cheap 8 .jpg
    Cheap 8 .jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Cheap sub 2.png
    Cheap sub 2.png
    108 KB · Views: 9
At most count 1/2 the surround towards the Sd, 1/3 may be closer.
Puts Sd in the 240-283 range x4 is fairly close to an 18".
Do I get +3dB for wiring the 4 in series parallel too?
Not sure how you are framing the question.

For mutually coupled drivers, each doubling of Sd and cabinet volume gains +3dB sensitivity (sensitivity defined as 1w/1m), so four speakers are +6dB more sensitive than one.
1 Watt gives ~ 86dB into one speaker, 92dB into four speakers.
Each doubling of power adds +3dB, so four speakers in four times the cabinet volume with four times the power of one give +12dB total over one, 98dB from 4 speakers driven with 4watts.

Four 4 ohm speakers in series parallel is a 4 ohm load.
2 volts into a 4 ohm load=1watt.
2.83 v into a 4 ohm load=2 watts.
Four 4 ohm speakers in parallel is a 1 ohm load.
2 volts into a 1 ohm load =4 watts, +6dB over one watt.

I'm 3.5 hours late for dinner..

Art

Last edited:
Suitable for outdoor use?
All my spare amps are stereo so I was thinking I'd need to get myself a mono amp or at least a decent bridgeable one; although the alternative is to make another tower and use it with the big 18" somehow.
At the moment it's a theoretical project but nobody wanted to buy the drivers when I tried to sell them
Not as such but could be fitted into watertight plactic box. Power is via a USB cable. IiWoofer app uses BT.

Reactions: 1 user